|Address:||46 Dolphin Ridge, Otto Du Plessis Drive, Big Bay, Cape Town, South Africa|
|Contact :||Louis Strydom|
"SMELL THE OCEAN" Dolphin Ridge Big Bay
"SMELL THE OCEAN" Self Catering, 2 Bedroom apartment, on 1st floor with garage below with Table Mountain views.
Across the road from Big Bay Beach, a real beach paradise and very popular coastal resort area in Bloubergstrand, from where you can watch stunning sunsets, against the backdrop of the famous Table Mountain and Robben Island. The open stretches of white sandy beaches makes Big Bay a popular destination for both local and international visitors.
Fully furnished two bedroom, two bathroom apartment with balcony, offering luxurious holiday accommodation within short 5 min walk to the beach.
The location of the apartment, just across the road from the Big Bay beach and new Big Bay Centre, Eden On The Bay, with a leading supermarket, shops and famous restaurants overlooking the ocean and Robben Island.
- Great to enjoy the beach, spectacular sunsets and the surrounding area
- Big Bay beach is very popular for watersports especially for all surfers including wind and kite surfing fanatics, with 10 km beach in each direction
- Just a pleasant "lot's to do area".
- Short walk to Seaside Village shopping Centre with another Supermarket and restaurants
- "New" My Citi Service with Bus Stop in front of apartment block -"takes you everywhere", including to the famous Waterfront, via the City of Cape Town. Safe, convenient and economical.
- Perfect for holiday or business stay
- Main bedroom, with door that leads out to balcony, with Table Mountain views, with queen bed, en-suite bathroom with shower and toilet.
- Second bedroom with 2 three quarter beds
- Second bathroom with shower , bath and toilet
- Dining area with Lounge with lounge leading onto secure balcony , overlooking Table Mountain.
- The lounge has the added comfort of under-floor heating
- Open plan modern kitchen with fitted oven and hob, fridge and dishwasher
- Single garage with laundry room extended consisting of washing machine, tumble dryer , chest freezer.
- Cutlery, cooking utensils, Linen, towels and beach towels are all provided.
- 24hr Security and very good internal security -problem free since new (5 years)
- Samsung TV, with full DSTV (Satellite) and Hi -Fi.
- This self-catering apartment offers all the luxuries necessary for a perfect holiday or business stay.
Dolphin Ridge Apartments are well managed, ensuring peace and tranquillity, after a long day at the beach or after all the hustle and bustle at Eden on The Bay and other great surrounding areas.
If you decide to stay at Dolphin Ridge, please assist by obeying the rules of the complex, of which a copy will be find in the apartment. Please also let us know how you enjoyed your stay, to be used as a guest review.
Many visitors, especially overseas visitors enquire about the security at the apartment. The apartment has excellent security and a good track record.
- Burglar bars
- Security locks in front off the two sliding doors
- Security Gate at Front entrance.
- Security Gate between Garage and Laundry and Security locks on both garage and entrance doors.
- Apartment Complex - Has 24 hour security with guards and newly finger print access control.
- Important that all visitors obey the rules of the complex
The apartment is just across the road from the beach and the new Big Bay development, situated right on the beach, with various shops, and quite a few restaurants, overlooking the ocean and Table Mountain.
Big Bay Area General Information
- A real beach paradise and very popular coastal resort area in Bloubergstrand, from where you can watch stunning sunsets, against the backdrop of the famous Table Mountain and Robben Island. The open stretches of white sandy beaches makes Big Bay a popular destination for both local and international visitors.
- Bloubergstrand has a long white sand beach on the Atlantic ocean, with a few rocky outcrops where black mussels are found. The water is cold due to the cold Benguela current but the beach is very popular with surfers. 'Big Bay', just to the West of BloubergStrand has become a popular kitesurfing spot due to the 1-3m surf for the majority of the year. Big Bay Beach is also well known for the ease with which White Mussels can be extracted from the sand by a process locally known as 'jiving'.
What to do Ideas
- Bloubergstrand is very popular for watersports especially for the wind and kitesurfing fanatics with 10 km beach in each direction
- It has easy access to Cape Town International Airport and it is situated 25 km (30 minute drive) from Cape Town City Centre and the famous Waterfront, with its Harbour Area, Aquariam, Fleemarkets, Boat cruises and Tours to Robben Island.
- Just round the corner Soccer lovers will find the new 2010 World Cup Soccer Stadium, Green Point Stadium, the host venue of Cape Town for the 2010 Football World Cup
- Then there is the Cable Car or the Pathway to the top of Table Mountain, or the world famous Kistenbosch Botanical Garden, which is enroute to the well known Newlands Cricket and Rugby stadiums and then onwards to Boulders Beach, the home of the much loved African Penquin.
- You can then also visit the great picturesque Cape Point, where the two greatest oceans meet.
- You have option the return via Chapman's Peak and absorb the once in a lifetime coastal views.
- Then there is the Grand West Casino not to far away, with adjacement modern Century City and Canal Walk shopping centres.
- Only half an hour or so away, you will start driving through the famous and spectacular Cape wine estates and sample some of the world renowned wines.
- For wine lovers and just everybody that wants to visit a spectacular wine estate, DurbanVille Hills, is really close by and it overlooks Table Bay, Table Mountain & Robben Island ,with restaurant and wine tasting. A real must for all visitors.
Golf in the Area
There are two world class Golf Courses within 10 minutes from Dolphin Ridge, Big bay - Atlantic Beach and Milnerton Golf Courses.
Atlantic Beach Golf Club
A new links-type estate course in the dunes next to the Atlantic Ocean that has been cut out of the natural fynbos vegetation. Straight driving and good wind play is essential, because the fynbos is a no-go area. Very difficult course to play in the strong south-easter that blows during the summer.
Milnerton Golf Club
A links-type layout modified in recent years with the building of a housing estate. Several holes run alongside the beach, and it's very testing in a wind. There are superb views over the Atlantic Ocean and towards Cape Town.
Local Area History
A local hero, "Harry die Strandloper", or Hadah, was the leader of the Goringhaikonas, who were the first people documented to live in Bloubergstrand. Hadah, his original name Autshumao, was taken to Java in 1629 by the Captain of the ship 'London' to be taught English. Because of his entrusted duties to deliver letters to the British seafaring community, he became the first "Postmaster" in South Africa.
In 1806, the first casualties of the Battle of Blaauwberg drowned when their boat was driven by the large surf into the rocky point at the end of Stadler road and it capsized. The invading British forces went on to defeat the defending Dutch forces and subsequently occupied the whole of the Cape Colony.This was a initial step in the major colonisation that then took place throughout the southern African continent. Now a famous national monument, "Ons Huisie" (literally translated to Our Small Home) has a long and colourful history in the development of Bloubergstrand. The first dwelling of Frederick Louis Stadler. (Hence Stadler Road is the original street). Shortly after the Battle of Blouberg in 1806, he became owner of almost all the farm property that is now known as Bloubergstrand. The exact building date is not known, but a Thomas Bowler made a beautiful pencil drawing of the house in 1853. Hendrik Louis Stadler, the sixth son of Frederick Louis, was the owner of "Ons Huisie" at that time. His sons, Frikkie, Rozier and Johannes, were the some of the original founders of Bloubergstrand (the building is now a resturant of some reputation)
From the 1940's a well-known writer of illustrated Afrikaans childrens' books, Helena 'Mollie' Lochner, who lived at the end of Stadler Road in "Die Groot Withuis" or the Lochner House, on the southernmost tip of the promontory. Her ashes are buried under the front step of the house. When she died "Mollie Lochner Huis" was bequeathed to the South African Teachers Union as a holiday home for female teachers but because of the high maintenance cost they had to dispose of it. Ultimately it was demolished in 2004 and a controversial highly contemporary styled guesthause was built on the site by Jacques Pauw, a well known local man, who was also involved in building the hospital. The large wooden cross out on the promontory rocks was erected in memory of the Bam family who live in Mollie's House and drowned off the point in 1911. (The above was adapted from Wikipedia)
Travelling from the airport follow the N2 towards Cape Town - be on the lookout for exit 9 "M5 North Milnerton"
- Follow the M5
- at the 2.7km mark from turnoff, follow "N1 Kaapstad" and at 5.3km mark exit to the R27 (exit 4 "Paarden Eiland: Milnerton Table View West Coast".
- Follow Marine Drive (R27) becoming Otto Du Plessis for 12km. At the 12km mark from exit 4 turn left at "Marinerylaan Dolphin Beach sign".
- Follow the road for 4.5km over a circle, reaching the second circle.
- Just past the second circle turn immediately right and have arrived at Big Bay's Dolphin Ridge.
- Bed Configuration
- 2 Bedroom Unit (Sleeps 4) (Sleeps 4) x 1
- Room 1 - queen
- Room 2 - three quarter, three quarter
"SMELL THE OCEAN" Dolphin Ridge Big Bay appears in the following sections:
Big Bay Self Catering Apartment, Flatlet Accommodation • Big Bay Self Catering Accommodation • Bloubergstrand Area Self Catering Apartment, Flatlet Accommodation • Bloubergstrand Area Self Catering Accommodation