Dempsey’s Guest House
|Address:||36 Lloyd Road
Dempsey’s Guest House
Dempsey’s is a self catering guest house, centrally located in the tranquil suburb of Walmer, Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape.
Hosts Jack and Kathy live on site.
Choose from five spacious and comfortably laid out en-suite rooms, each with private entrances and kitchenettes. None of the rooms are inter-leading, all are private and separate from each other. All are ‘one-room’ units.
- Two family rooms, each featuring: 1 queen bed, 1 double bunk.
- Two twin rooms, each featuring: 2 single beds.
- One double room featuring: 1 double bed.
- One family room is wheelchair friendly. An accessible ramp leads from the car park to the spacious room. The bathroom has a ‘roll-in shower’ with correct grab rails and fixtures. Guests can choose their parking bay; we have a mobile ‘disabled parking sign’ that we place at guest’s chosen parking bay.
Dempsey’s was assessed by Disabled Travel and found to be 100% compliant as per these findings:
- Access to the house via a wooden ramp from the tarred parking area.
- Adequate space in bathroom for manoeuvring of wheelchair.
- Adequate space next to the toilet for side-ways transfer. Measurement from wall to front of toilet is 720 mm and height of toilet seat is 470 mm. Height of wall and cistern grab rails is 800 mm. Measurement from toilet centre line to wall is 650 mm.
- Roll-in shower with a hand shower attachment and lever tap. The height of the shower bench is adjustable and backrest and grab rail can be moved to other side of the bench. Width of shower entrance is 1300 mm.
- No bath available.
- Leg space of 700 mm underneath the basin with a lever tap. Height of top of basin is 830 mm. Small shelf available. Mirror within reach.
- Adequate space in bedroom with access to cupboards and lowered hang rail. Height of beds is 580 mm and 630 mm.
- Kitchen surfaces and appliances are within reach.
- Access available to the lounge, dining room and wooden deck/patio.
Dempsey’s is close to the Port Elizabeth airport, a short drive from all beaches, amenities, hospitals and shopping centres.
Situated within walking distance of a bakery, supermarkets, restaurants, pubs and coffee shops.
Dempsey’s is approximately:
2kms from Port Elizabeth Airport.
5kms from Nelson Mandela Stadium.
1km from 6th Avenue Shopping Centre.
4kms from Walmer Park Shopping Centre.
1km from Fresh Laundry.
1km from Life St. Georges Hospital.
4kms from Netcare Greenacres Hospital.
8kms from The Boardwalk Hotel and Casino Complex.
Dempsey’s Guest House:
Member of: Nelson Mandela Bay Tourism.
Member of: PEMBBA: Port Elizabeth Metro Bed and Breakfast Association. All approved establishments are inspected annually for quality, standards and set requirements.
Listed on: Eastern Cape Parks and Tourism Agency.
Listed on: Budget Accommodation Port Elizabeth.
Listed on: Disabled Travel SA.
Dempsey’s Self Catering is:-
A 5 minute drive to the airport.
A 2 minute drive to the laundromat.
A 10 minute drive to beaches, shopping centres and major hospitals.
Dempsey’s Self Catering offers on-site parking close to rooms.
No laundry service
No barbecue facilities
No barbecuing allowed
No swimming pool
No DSTV but we do have Open View HD decoders in each unit
No pets allowed
We conserve energy by using a heat pump to heat all water on the property. We use as many energy-saving light bulbs as possible. All our showers are fitted with water saving shower roses. We harvest rain water for use in our laundry; we plan on having more rain tanks for harvesting of rain water to our guest rooms. We recycle paper, plastic, tins, glass. Our garden is completely natural, we don’t apply fertilizers or pesticides of any kind.
We look forward to welcoming you and assure you of a pleasant stay at our Self Catering Port Elizabeth, Walmer Guest House.
- Languages Spoken At Establishment
- Bed Configuration
- Double Room No.5 (Sleeps 2) x 1
- Room 1 - double
- Family Room No. 2 wheelchair friendly (Sleeps 4) x 1
- Room 1 - queen, single, single
- Family Room No.1 (Sleeps 4) x 1
- Room 1 - queen, bunk
- Twin Room No.3 (Sleeps 2) x 1
- Room 1 - single, single
- Twin Room No.4 (Sleeps 2) x 1
- Room 1 - single, single
- airport (less than 10km)
- bar fridge
- bowls (less than 5km)
- casino (less than 10km)
- ceiling fans
- DVD player
- golf (less than 5km)
- hair dryer
- heaters in unit
- kitchenette only
- linen & towels provided
- medical facilities (less than 5km)
- microwave in unit
- Open View HD Satellite TV
- parking all onsite
- private entrance
- remote security
- restaurant (walking distance)
- Secure parking with individual remotes and keys
- tea / coffee making facilities
- wheelchair friendly
- wi-fi / hotspot
- Special Categories
Wheelchair Friendly Accommodation
detailsFor every 25 parking bays, at least one should be 3500mm wide
Number of bays : 1
The following apply
Minimum unobstructed space infront of doors
Ramps provided in close proximity to stairs Textured surfaces, such as roughened finishes, on all ramps, stairways and main circulation paths Route surface firm and even – surface should be hard with no gravel or cobble type finishes Clear unobstructed routes provided throughout the facility All areas well and evenly lit Door handles in the area located at a height of between 120cm – 80cm Signage displaying the international symbol of accessibility at the accessible pickup/drop-off point Fixed slip-resistant floor surface. Wooden floors, tiles or close pile carpet no higher than 13mm Re-positioning of furniture, and other obstructions in the room to meet guest requirements At registration any guest with a functional limitation [or any guest requesting such facility] is highlighted in the system, so that in the event of an emergency, special procedures can be taken to locate and evacuate these guests Floors should be level. If a difference in level is unavoidable this should not exceed a 1.3cm difference Floor surfaces at wheelchair areas should be level, stable, firm and slip-resistant. Carpet or carpet tile used on the floors must be securely attached, and be of a low pile type (1.3cm thick or less) with a firm pad Hand rails in the bathrooms Stable seating area in the bath / shower
Size of all door openings, when measured in the 90-degree open position
A minimum of 90cm x 120cm
Minimum of 76cm wide
Dempsey’s Guest House appears in the following sections:
Port Elizabeth Bed & Breakfast Accommodation • Port Elizabeth Wheelchair Friendly Accommodation • Port Elizabeth Guest House Accommodation • Walmer Bed & Breakfast Accommodation • Walmer Wheelchair Friendly Accommodation • Walmer Guest House Accommodation