Situated just 40 kms southeast of Johannesburg along the N3 Highway that leads to Durban lies the small historic town of Heidelberg. The town is situated below the hills of the 13300 ha Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve, which has some excellent hiking trails, where one can expect see baboon and a number of antelope.
During the first War of Independence Heidelberg served as the capital of the Zuid Afrikaansche Republiek from 1880 to 1883 under the triumverate of Paul Kruger, P.Joubert and MW Pretorius. Heidelberg was laid out around a trading store in 1862 and named after the German town. It sits at the crossroads of two old wagon trails, that from Pretoria to Bloemfontein and the trail from Potchefstroom and Durban. The old railway station, built in 1895, has now been converted into motor museum. The town's architecture is Victorian, and there are many fine examples to be seen including the Heidelberg Club, built in 1892. The Diepkloof Farm Museum located in Suikerbosrand includes the original farmhouse built in 1850.