The small urban suburb of Pretoria known as Eloffsdal is situated just to the north of the city centre and to the north-west of Union Buildings. Eloffsdal is ideally placed for those who wish to visit the National Zoological Gardens and is very close to the Pretoria University’s medical schools and facilities situated at Prinshof. Eloffsdal is also handily placed for the Rietondale Experimental Farm and the National Botanical Gardens and Institute.
Pretoria itself was founded in 1855 by Marthinus Pretorius, a leader of the Voortrekkers, who named it after his father Andries Pretorius. During the First Boer War, the city was besieged by Republican forces in December 1880 and March 1881. The peace treaty, which ended the war, was signed in Pretoria on 3rd August 1881 at the Pretoria Convention. Pretoria achieved official city status in 1931. The suburb of Eloffsdal is handy for most of the foreign embassies housed in the city.