Sungubala Eco Camp is a Mountain Lodge situated in the Northern Drakensberg of KwaZulu-Natal. This unique Lodge of 3 self catering cottages and a Bush Camp, is situated on 500ha of pristine wilderness directly below the peaks of Hlolela and Sungubala (7000ft), just north of the EZEMVELO KwaZulu-Natal Nature Conservation Area - Royal Natal. Surrounding the farm is approximately 30 000 to 40 000ha of conserved wilderness of World Heritage Site and the Maloti - Drakensberg Transfrontier Park and mountain environment, to which we have access. Sungubala farm forms part of the Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife Conservancy of the Northern Drakensberg.
Sungubala caters for the visitor who wants to be up in the mountains, not just looking at them!!
Accommodation and Facilities:
- 2 x 5 sleeper Thatched chalets; 2 bedrooms with en suite shower/loo, with spectacular mountain views.
- 1 x 6 sleeper Mountain Bungalow; 2 bedrooms each with own shower/loo. Rustic without mountain view
- The units have solar and wind generated electricity for lighting, heating water and charging cell phones, laptops and cameras.
Camels Camp Accommodation Alternative:
- The Safari and A Frame accommodation (18 people max) share spotlessly clean ablution facilities with hot and cold water and sufficient facilities
- 6 twin bedded Rondavels with private ablutions. The camp is suitable for groups of up to 18 wanting to get together for family reunions or special birthdays or for company getaways or team building. If one group takes both the chalets and the camp we can accommodate up to 30 people.
- The communal Boma has 2 lounges, one with fireplace, a kitchen incl. stoves and fridges with freezers, dining area, camp fire and BBQ area. Each A Frame and Safari unit has a personal cupboard in the boma with personal utensils for self caterers.
- Solar Power is used for lighting in the accommodation units, ablutions and kitchen, while Oil lamps contribute to the ambience of the Boma.
- We now have a small swimming pool on site
Activities in the area:
- Expert Guided hiking
- Self guided hiking on marked trails
- Outings to local attractions, can be coordinated - including:
* Drakensberg Boys Choir,
* Cape Vulture feeding sites,
* Cultural and Tribal Tours to the Amazizi and Amangwane communities,
* Basotho Cultural Village,
* Voortrekker Pass and monument.
- Access to horse riding (day and overnight trails may be arranged), trout fishing, abseiling, trapezing, paint ball, golf
- The world's one and only "Silent Woman" !!!
- Bushman Paintings
- Cannibal Caves where people sought refuge from King Shaka
- Indigenous forests
- Sitting, under African night skies, around a roaring camp fire
- The ambience created by paraffin and gas lighting at night
- Midway between Johannesburg (385km) and Durban (275km)
- In proximity to Natal battlefields near Ladysmith
- Adjacent to Royal Natal National Park with the Amphitheatre and Tugela Gorge
- Guests are ferried 1.8kms to the camp in a four wheel drive vehicle. Secure, undercover parking, is provided for private vehicles at our residence. The experience begins as soon as one arrives.
- Private AWD vehicles may be used. One needs the clearance more than 4x4 capabilities.
- Sungubala is not just accommodation - it is a True Drakensberg mountain experience with unparalleled views.
- Personal attention from owners who are experts on the Drakensberg and its Cultural and Natural History
- The benefit of South African rates that are not inflated for the overseas visitor
- Sungubala is ideal for group bookings
Seasons in the Drakensberg.
Summer - November to February
Day time Temps: 20 degrees to 30 degrees C
Night time Temps: 12 degrees to 15 degrees C
Mornings usually clear and hot with thunderstorms brewing from mid morning to midday and breaking in the afternoon or early evening
Winter - June to August
Day time Temps: 15 degrees to 20 degrees C
Night time Temps: 8 degrees to 12 degrees C
Days sunny and clear, nights cool to cold. Cold Fronts bring freezing temperatures with snow on the summit
Spring - September to October and Autumn - March to May
Day time Temps: 18 degrees to 25 degrees C
Night time Temps: 10 degrees to 15 degrees C
Days sunny and clear, nights cool to cold. Rainy Cold Fronts bring freezing temperatures with snow on the summit and 3-4 days of rain in spring
Summit Hiking Trips:
The above average temperatures are cooler by an average of 15 degrees C.
- Food and drink if self catering
- Drinks - soft drinks for sale
- Swimming towels - farm style reservoir
- No electrical items - there is no plug in electricity *** (See "We Provide...")
- Charcoal and Firewood for Sale
- Hot and Cold water
- Fridges and Freezer
- Fully equipped, gas powered kitchen in cottages and house
- Electric lighting at night, by solar charged batteries
- Bedding with extra blankets & shower towels
- Charging facilities for cell phones, laptops and cameras ***