Drakensberg Holidays - KwaZulu Natal Tourism
Click here for Drakensberg Holiday Accommodation
Flanking the western borders of KwaZulu-Natal for 200km's is the spectacular Drakensberg mountain range, originally referred to as the 'Dragon Mountains' by early settlers, and Ukhahlamba or 'the barrier of spears' in Zulu. Nowadays, the Drakensberg region is affectionately known to locals as the 'Berg'.
Drakensberg - Panoramic Splendour
The Northern Drakensberg is an area of magnificent natural beauty. One such scenic wonder is the Amphitheatre, which lies on the eastern edge of the Mont-aux-Sources - a 3000m high plateau, and the source of the Tugela River (and eight other rivers), which flows towards the Amphitheatre in the Northern Drakensberg, then plummets 2000m over the edge in a series of falls and cascades forming the highest waterfall in South Africa.
The Amphitheatre forms the backdrop to the Drakensberg's Royal Natal National Park, which boasts some of the most breathtaking scenery in South Africa.
This large terrain, over 8000ha, can be explored on horseback, or hiking, with more than 30 walks and climbs ranging from 3km's for beginners to over 45km's for the experienced. Most of the Drakensberg accommodation venues either have, or will arrange Drakensberg horseback rides for the guests.
The Central Drakensberg area includes a solid basalt rock wall maintained at a level of over 3000m for some 35kms, ending in a massive corner stone known as Giant's Castle. Proclaimed almost a century ago, Giant's Castle Game Reserve can be found on the foothills, and a series of caves offer visitors a chance to view galleries of rock art - a testament to the San people who once inhabited the area hundreds of years ago.Champagne Castle and the famous Champagne Sports resort are situated in this much visited Central Berg Region
The Southern Drakensberg ranges from Giant's Castle to KwaZulu-Natal's southernmost section of the Drakensberg, Bushmans Nek. Bushmans Nek is one of two official entries into Lesotho from KwaZulu-Natal, and can be made on foot or horseback. Sani Pass, the highest in South Africa is the other, and the only road link. Some of the wildlife seen in the Southern Drakensberg includes the eland, the largest of the African antelope, oribi, jackal, baboon and porcupine.
Drakensberg & Surroundings Actvities:
- Vultures for Africa - for an unforgettable Drakensberg birdwatching experience.
- The Drakensberg Boys Choir makes the hills come alive with the sound of music.
- Dare to brave the Mont-aux-Sources chain ladders, and be rewarded with spectacular views at the summit.
- Trout fish the Southern and Northern Drakensberg's crystal clear dams and rivers.
- Take to the skies and microlight over the Drakensberg.
- Abseil hundreds of metres down the Tugela Gorge or Maletsunyane Falls.
- Moutain bike the Drakensberg trails.
- White water raft and kayak on the Tugela River.
- Golfing at Cathedral Peak Hotel and Champagne Sports golf course
Explore Drakensberg towns:
- Drakensberg Gardens Hotel - the ideal mountain getaway accessed via the villages of Underberg and Himeville.
- Lower Berg Foothills - dominated by St Bernard's Peak.
- Sani Pass - the third steepest pass in the world, winding through some of Africa's most spectacular scenery.
- Cedarville - gateway to three mountain passes which lead into Lesotho.
- Kamberg - where the first South African rock art was found.
- Bergville - known as the gateway to the Central Drakensberg area.
- Little Switzerland - a mass of pine forest that overlooks the northern reaches of the Royal Natal National Park.
- Mont-aux-Sources - lies high on the north-east edge of the Drakensberg Mountain Range.
- Winterton - a picturesque farming village nestled in the foothills of the majestic Drakensberg.
- Spioenkop Dam - situated 35kms from the well known Battlefields town of Ladysmith.
Summer - November to February is the rainy season with daily thundershowers. Temps rarely rise over 30 degrees.
Autumn - March to June, has the best climate, and is considered the perfect time to visit the Berg.
Winter - June to August is dry and warm during the day, but nights can be very cold below zero, with snow in higher regions.
Spring - September and October - when the wildflowers are in bloom.
Drakensberg Vakansies - KwaZulu Natal Toerisme
Kliek hier vir Drakensberg Omgewing Akkommodasie
Weeskante van die westelike grens van KwaZulu-Natal vir 200km is die skouspelagtige Drakensberg Berge, oorspronklik bekend as die "Draakberge' deur vroeë setlaars, en Ukhahlamba of' "die versperring van spiese" in Zulu. Deesdae, die streek Drakensberg is ook bekend om die plaaslike bevolking as die "Berg".
Die Noordelike Drakensberg is 'n gebied van pragtige natuurskoon. Een so 'n pragtige wonder is die Amphitheatre, wat lê op die oostelike rand van die Mont-aux-Sources - 'n 3000m hoë plato, en die bron van die Tugelarivier (en agt ander riviere), wat in die Noordelike Drakensberge vloei na die Amphitheatre toe, Dan val die terrein 2000m oor die rand en 'n reeks watervalle vorm wat die hoogste in Suid-Afrika is.
Die Amfiteater vorm die agtergrond vir Royal Natal Nasionale Park wat van die mees asemrowende natuurskoon in Suid-Afrika spog.
Hierdie groot terrein (oor 8000ha) kan ondersoek word op 'n perd, of stap, met meer as 30 vlakke wat wissel van 3 km vir beginners tot meer as 45 km vir die ervare. Die meeste van die Drakensberg Akkommodasie plekke sal reël.dat die gaste kan perdry.
Die Sentrale Drakensberg gebied sluit in 'n stewige basaltrots muur op 'n vlak van meer as 3000m, wat eindig in 'n massiewe hoeksteen bekend as Giant's Castle. Geproklameerde bykans 'n eeu gelede, kan Giant's Castle-wildreservaat gevind word, en 'n reeks van die grotte bied besoekers 'n kans om galerye van rotskuns te sien - 'n bewys van die Boesman wat eens die gebied honderde jare gelede bewoon het.
Die Suidelike Drakensberg wissel van Giant's Castle na Bushmans Nek in die suider gebied. Bushmans Nek is een van twee amptelike ingangs van Lesotho tot in KwaZulu-Natal, en kan te voet of te perd bykom deur Sani Pass, die hoogste in Suid-Afrika. Sommige van die wild gesien in die Suidelike Drakensberg sluit die eland, die grootste van die Afrikaanse wildsbokke, oribi, jakkalse, bobbejane en ystervark.
Drakensberg & Omgewing Activiteite:
- Aasvoëls vir Afrika - vir 'n onvergeetlike voëlkyk ervaring.
- Die Drakensberg Seunskoor maak die heuwels in die lewe met die geluid van musiek.
- Skuil die Mont-aux-Sources kettinglere en word beloon beloon met 'n skouspelagtige uitsig op die oppervlak.
- TVang trout in die Suider-en kristal helder damme en riviere van die Noordelike Drakensberg.
- Vlieg oor die Drakensberge.in 'n microlite vliegtuig
- Abseil honderde meter af in die Tugela Gorge of Maletsunyane-waterval.
- Mountainbike die Drakensberg roetes.
- Kajak op die Tugelarivier.
Tiepiese Drakensberg Dorpe:
- Drakensberg Gardens - die ideale berg wegbreek via die dorpe van Underberg en Himeville.
- Lower Berg - oorheers deur St Bernard's Peak.
- Sani Pass - die derde steilste slaag in die wêreld, kronkel deur 'n paar van die mees skouspelagtige natuurskoon in Afrika.
- Cedarville - poort na drie bergpasse wat lei na Lesotho.
- Kamberg - waar die eerste Suid-Afrikaanse rotskuns gevind was.
- Bergville - bekend as die poort na die Sentrale Drakensberge gebied.
- Klein Switserland - 'n massa van dennebos wat die noordelike dele van die Royal Natal Nasionale Park uitkyk.
- Mont-aux-Sources - lê hoog op die noord-ooste kant van die Drakensbergreeks.
- Winterton - 'n skilderagtige boerdery dorpie geleë in die voetheuwels van die majestueuse Drakensberge.
- Spioenkop Dam - lê op ongeveer 35 km vanaf die bekende Boere en Zulu oorlog dorp Ladysmith.
Somer - November.-Februarie. is die reënseisoen met daaglikse donderbuie. Temperature styg selde meer as 30 grade.
Herfs - Maart tot Junie het die beste klimaat, en word beskou as die ideale tyd om die Drakensberge te besoek.
Winter - Junie.-Augustus. is droog en warm gedurende die dag, maar nagte kan baie koud onder vriespunt wees, met sneeu in die hoër gebiede.
Lente - September en Oktober - wanneer die veldblomme in blom is.
Being a country lodge, White Mountain Lodge offers rooms and chalets with self catering or full board facilities.
These tastefully decorated self catering chalets are available in 4, 6 and 8 sleeper units and also boasts a wheelchair friendly unit. Each chalet, has a fully equipped kitchen with washing machine, tumble drier, telephone, DStv and individual ...
Sungubala is a Mountain Lodge situated in the Northern Drakensberg of KwaZulu-Natal. This unique Lodge of 3 self catering cottages and a Bush Camp, is situated on 500ha of pristine wilderness.
Self catering and serviced. Fully equipped but not fancy ie. no TVs!!! But a healthy hearth! Provided with linen and electric blankets, but please bring your own towels. The kitchen has fridge / freezer, stove, kettle, toaster and all the ...
The Accommodation comprises elegantly furnished rooms, all with bathrooms en-suite. Choose from standard double rooms, a junior suite and two executive suites. Our rooms and bathrooms have under-floor heating to keep away the winter chill.
The holiday home is tastefully furnished for your comfort. Accommodating 6 people. It is fully equipped for self catering having a country style kitchen.
We offer affordable accommodation in our B&B Guesthouse called Oak Tree Lodge on a trout farm called The Old Hatchery, set in tranquil country scenery just 10km from Underberg in the Southern Drakensberg. We provide on-site parking, wifi & fabulous meals.
This former trading station from the 1890's era is perfectly situated for hiking, trout fishing, river swimming, mountain biking, bird watching, nature walks and of course a drive up the famous Sani Pass. This historic site has a charm and sense ...
All chalets have magnificent mountain views and are fully appointed with stoves microwaves, DStv and braai areas. The resort has a rock pool and Lapa, alongside which is an outdoor braai area with a Pizza oven and Mongolian braai; ideal for group ...
Cathkin Cottage is conveniently situated, opposite the Drakensberg Sun Resort, in the heart of Champagne Valley and is in close proximity to all local attractions and restaurants, with many hikes starting from the Cottage.
If you are looking for a quiet place to gather your thoughts and recharge your batteries then Stonehaven is the place for you.
Accommodation is in two comfortable rooms in the cabin which is environmentally friendly. Power and hot water are derived from a solar generating system and cooking is on clean gas stoves. There are lovely outside lapa's for braai's, one at the ...
Champagne Sports Resort has been striving to make this award winning resort the perfect place for work and play. This is a difficult balance to achieve but following recent developments we believe we have created a truly unique destination.
The Bell @ Fernwood is situated on Fernwood, at the foothills of the majestic Cathkin Peak. Surrounded by the little berg, free roaming game and privacy of the Champagne Valley. We can proudly announce that it has a 4 star rating from the SA Tourism Gr
Lake St Bernard is situated on the St Bernards Peak road off the R617 in the Southern Drakensberg. The 68 hectare lake is on a privately owned farm that is home to many species of buck and wildlife.
All cottages are self catering and fully equipped, including linen, pillows and blankets. Bring your own towels. The kitchen is equipped with an electric stove and fridge / freezer, plus all crockery, cutlery and utensils. Braai facilities are ...
L’Chiam Cottage is a cosy, 3-bedroom house and honey-moon suite, situated in the Bergview Estate, a controlled access area in Champagne Valley, Drakensberg. Nestled against the foothills of the Drakensberg, the property can accommodate 8 guests...
The Drakensberg is one of the regions in the country where every little bend in the road guarantees a new surprise.
Ambleside Cottage is situated on the banks of the Little Tugela River, which rises at the head of the Injasuti Valley on top of the Drakensberg Mountains. Ambleside Farm is a working farm, with animals and crops being produced for food production
We are situated in the scenic Champagne Valley in the Central Drakensberg. You will enjoy stunning views of the three highest peaks of South Africa. Mafadi (highest at 3450m)Injisuthi Dome (second highest peak at 3410m) and the majestic ...