Welcome to oyster cottages
Oyster Cottages consists of two independent self-catering cottages, sharing a single corner property, nestled in one of Umhlanga's oldest suburbs and yet perfectly situated - 5 minutes drive - to beaches, restaurants and shopping centres.
Once the farmhouse of an early Umhlanga fruit farm, the 6-sleeper main cottage 'Oyster Lodge' has been elegantly renovated, whilst the spacious 3-sleeper 'Pearl Cottage', was built from new. Indigenous fever (Acacia) trees line the road verge and guests are welcomed to a well manicured garden with partial sea views.
'Oyster Lodge', is characterised by a deep wrap around veranda with designer appointed bedrooms and living areas. It also boasts a fully equipped and functional kitchen - including dishwasher - for those with a flair for entertaining (albeit on holiday!). Barbeque/Braai equipment is also provided.
The queen bedded main bedroom is en-suite, with a full bathroom (toilet, basin, shower and bath). The 2 other bedrooms have 2 single beds each and share a spacious bathroom (toilet, basin & shower). All bedrooms are air-conditioned. Oyster Lodge sleeps 6
The lounge and dining areas are inviting, comfortable and tastefully appointed. They are linked to the veranda via wide timber folding doors allowing cool breezes to filter through whilst connecting the interior of the cottage to the garden and sea views - perfect for al fresco dining.
A widescreen television connected to a satellite decoder and DVD player is provided.
'Pearl Cottage' is a one bedroom cottage, with a queen size double bed. It is both comfortable and spacious and includes all the facilities and attention to decor of Oyster Lodge. A sleeper couch and additional linen for younger children is also available. Pearl Cottage sleeps 3
The shared and child-friendly swimming pool area is equipped with six comfortable sun lounges and two umbrellas for your comfort and use. Beach towels are also provided.
The cottages are serviced daily from Mondays to Fridays with week-end servicing and babysitting arranged at an additional cost. Cottages are fully equipped with laundry facilities.
No smoking and pets allowed. Raucous parties and matric students are strictly prohibited.
Both cottages have independently monitored electronic security systems.
Places Close By
Gateway Entertainment and Shopping Centre (2nd largest in the World and biggest in the Southern Hemisphere), with shops, restaurants, cinemas, theatres, IMAX, climbing wall, skate park, wave pool, putt putt, squash, aerobics and much more, just 5 minutes away.
Game park safaris are within driving distance with the chance of spotting Africa's Big Five. There are numerous sporting facilities available in the area: play golf at one of the world's top 100 golf courses at the Durban Country Club, take a boat trip to see the dolphins catching the waves, maybe catch a view of the Hump Back Whale, deep sea diving off the Aliwal Shoal to view the numerous fish or take a trip to catch one of the numerous game fish off the coast.
- air conditioner (all units)
- airport (less than 15km)
- aquarium (less than 5km)
- babysitting service
- beach (less than 500m)
- big game (less than 30km)
- boat trips (less than 5km)
- bowls (less than 5km)
- braai / barbecue - onsite
- car hire (less than 20km)
- casino (less than 10km)
- dishwasher onsite
- dolphinarium (less than 5km)
- DSTV in room
- electronic safe
- fishing (less than 3km)
- golf (less than 5km)
- horse riding (less than 5km)
- ice skating (less than 5km)
- internet facilities
- kitchen (fully equipped)
- laundry facilities onsite
- live entertainment (less than 3km)
- medical facilities (less than 5km)
- microwave in unit
- movies / cinema (less than 5km)
- nature trail (less than 2km)
- outdoor pool
- parking all onsite
- pets allowed by prior arrangement
- private airfield (less than 15km)
- private entrance
- radio in room
- remote security
- reptile park (less than 20km)
- restaurant (less than 5km)
- sauna/steam room (less than 3km)
- scuba diving (less than 10km)
- squash court (less than 5km)
- tea / coffee making facilities
- television in communal area
- tumble dryer in unit
- washing machine in unit
- whale watching (less than 10km)
- wi-fi / hotspot
* From King Shaka International Airport, follow the directions to the N2 South to Durban/Pietermaritzburg;
* Proceed for +/- 12 km along the N2 and then exit left at Exit 182 for the M41 to Umhlanga/Mt Edgecombe/Phoenix;
* At the traffic lights, turn left onto the M41 to Umhlanga;
* Continue until you reach the left off-ramp for the M12 to Umhlanga Rocks Drive and Umhlanga Ridge. (this is the second off ramp left - you must first pass under 2 bridges);
* At the traffic lights at the top of the off-ramp glide left into Umhlanga Rocks Drive;
* Proceed +/-800m along Umhlanga Rocks Drive through first traffic circle (Shell Garage on left) until you reach the second traffic circle and go around and take 3rd exit to your left with the sea now in front of you;
* Continue down the hill until you reach your first set of traffic lights;
* Turn left at traffic lights and then right into Westridge Drive and continue until you reach a T-junction - Hilken Drive;
* Turn right into Hilken Drive at T-junction and continue until your reach the first turn on you left Oyster Crescent;
* Turn left into Oyster Crescent and continue until your reach Oyster Cottages (No 16) on right.