Lake St Bernard
We invite you to visit this small piece of paradise situated in the Southern Drakensberg. Lake St Bernard is a 68 hectare lake on a privately owned farm that is home to many species of buck and wildlife. Come and stay at one of our 3 beautiful Lake Side cottages. This is the perfect spot to spend with family & friends, unwinding in a truly spectacular environment.
- Trout fishing Hiking trails into the mountains
- Hike to view Rock art and Wild Protea flowers
- Mountain bike riding
- Game viewing, Eland, Blesbok, Zebra and Emus
- Swimming at the bamboo pools
- Bird Watching - many species found on the farm
- Stunning Picnic spots
- Horse riding at the local Mountain Lodge
We call ourselves big fish country, this Lake has only recently been available to the public as a fishing spot and being catch and release we are able to maintain the fish holding. The water was previously named Ferndale dam by farmers/fisherman in the area. We regularly stock with 8 inch and 1 kg trout and with the catch and release policy our fishermen continually catch big trout. The biggest fish caught in our waters are 13lbs, many 7, 8, lbs fish are caught.
Location: 70km south of Underberg 200km From Pietermaritzburg 200km From Port Shepstone 280km from Durban 680km from Gauteng 300km from Umtata
Details of Accommodation:
Cottage No. 2 - Thatch Chalet On The Water (sleeps 7)
This is an open plan thatched chalet with stunning mountain and lake views. The chalet has a main bedroom and upstairs loft room The bathroom is complete with shower, bath and toilet Open plan lounge/dinning/kitchen with a central jet master fire place All kitchen essentials are supplied, microwave, oven and fridge/freezer included A webber braai and scottle are also supplied
Main bedroom downstairs has a luxury queen bed
Upstairs loft has 3 singles beds and a double bed
Cottages No. 1 & 3 - New Lakeside Cottages (Fish Eagle Cottage & Crowned Crane Cottage - sleeps 8 each)
Two new luxury 3 bedroomed, 2 bathroom cottages are right on the water. These cottages have stunning views and are something special to see. The open plan lounge/dining kitchens are heated by a central fireplace Kitchen is fully fitted with oven, microwave and fridge/freezer combo The stunning outdoor living area includes a built in braai
- Room 1 has a luxury queen bed
- Room 2 has 2 single beds
- Room 3 has 2 single beds
- Lounge has a sleeper couch for kids-young adults.
- Country Houses are not on the waters edge but have stunning mountain and Lake Views.
Leydn Country House (sleeps up to 12 people)
This is a large, spacious farm house set in the mountains with breathtaking views of the lake and mountains. There are 4 bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, 2 lounges (one with fireplace), dining room, a large kitchen and verandah. All kitchen essentials are supplied, microwave, oven and fridge/freezer. Ideal for large families, family reunions or groups of friends looking for a peaceful escape.
- Main bedroom has a luxury king size bed, 2 single beds and a fireplace
- Room 2 has a double bed and 1 single bed
- Room 3 has a twin bed and 1 single bed
- Room 4 has two single beds
- TV's are not supplied
- No pets allowed
- No power boats
- NO MOTOR / QUAD BIKES ALLOWED
- There are no shops in the area, family, value for money meals can be enjoyed at the local hotel.
- Take the Southern Drakensberg/Underberg turn, off the N3 just north of Cedara.
- Proceed towards Underberg on the R617.
- Pass through Underberg head towards Swartberg.
- 10km before Swartberg on the right take the St Bernard's peak turn off D609.
- Follow on this gravel road 24km to Lake St Bernard.
S 30 deg 02.900'
E 029 deg 07.474'