Clivia Hill is situated on the banks of Bell Park Dam in the Central Drakensberg region of KwaZulu-Natal. We offer bed and breakfast or self- catering accommodation for up to six guests in a tranquil and breathtakingly beautiful setting within the ambit of the Drakensberg World Heritage Site.
Clivia Hill is part of the Drakensberg Experience tourism association, which can be found on both Open Africa and N3 Gateway tourist routes.
The thatched double-storey guest unit comprises of an open-plan living area with DSTV, a fireplace and a fully equipped kitchen. Fresh garden-picked flowers welcome you on arrival.
It has three double bedrooms, each with its own bath- or shower-room adjacent or en suite. The two north-facing upstairs bedrooms open onto a balcony offering scenic views through 180 degrees. All the rooms are provided with wall heaters for cold winter nights and ceiling fans and mosquito burners for summer. The third bedroom is located downstairs.
The downstairs living area opens onto a secluded covered porch equipped with a built-in braai and a Weber. Stone steps lead down from the porch through an indigenous rockery into an extensive clivia-filled garden from which a gate gives direct access to Bell Park Dam, known for its exceptionally pure water and its bird life. A two-seater canoe is available for hire.
Depending on the weather and guests' preference, breakfast can be served either in the open plan living area, on the covered porch, in the garden or in the adjacent breakfast room. Menu available on request.
We welcome up to 2 small and medium sized dogs.
Activities and amenities at or near Clivia Hill
- Water sports of various kinds on Bell Park Dam, which lies just beyond the garden gate (swimming, canoeing, sailing, motor-boating, and water-skiing).
- Fishing. The dam is well stocked with bass, carp, Natal Yellowfish and grass cob.
- Bird watching. The abundant bird life around Bell Park Dam includes fish eagles, ground hornbills, crowned cranes and a wide variety of waterfowl.
- Walking in the Bell Park Dam area. Options range from 30 minutes to four hours in duration.
- Mountain walks. There are mapped trails and walks from Bell Park Dam into the Little Berg and beyond.
- Horse riding. Horse trails through beautiful, little-known Bergscapes available within 2 km of Clivia Hill and pony rides for children within 8 km.
- Quad biking, paintball, zip lines, and white water rafting within 10 km of Clivia Hill.
- Canopy tours. The Drakensberg Canopy Tour is 20 minutes' drive from Clivia Hill, the Karkloof Canopy tour less than an hour away.
- Battlefields and historical sites. The haunting battle site of Spioenkop and the key Boer War town of Ladysmith are both approximately 45 minutes drive from Clivia Hill, while a visit to Isandhlwana and Rorke's Drift is a comfortable day trip.
- Tennis, golf and bowls. Courts, courses and bowling greens are all to be found in the general neighbourhood.
- Game Reserves. The Spioenkop and Weenen Game Reserves are both within easy reach.
- Music. The renowned Drakensberg Boys Choir School presents mid-weekly concerts during term time and hosts the annual Music in the Mountains festival at the end of April.
- Reptile Park A family friendly reptile park can be visited.
- Private Airfield A private airfield and landing can be arranged, and is within 15km of Clivia Hill
- Eating out. The six hotels, three restaurants and four coffee shops situated within eight to 25kms of Clivia Hill provide a range and quality of food to satisfy all tastes.
- Shopping. There are several small shopping centres all within 12 kms of Clivia Hill. Cedarwood has a supermarket, bottle store, laundrette and coffee shop as well as several speciality shops, while Thokozisa, set in an indigenous garden with a play area for children, has an information centre, restaurant, delicatessen, wine cellar, hair salon, art gallery and a variety of boutiques. Breads and baked treats can be bought at the Valley Bakery, which also has an art gallery and coffee shop. Another tourist destination is the Berg Air Lifestyle Centre, where you can enjoy the a beer brewery, a chocolate shop, a farm stall and restaurant.
- Winterton, a 20 minutes drive from Clivia Hill, has two supermarkets, two petrol stations, a coffee and gift shop, a butchery, pharmacy, bottle store and post office. The Midlands Meander, which starts approximately 75 km from Clivia Hill, affords an outing that combines lovely scenery with an interesting variety of shopping and eating options.
- Medical. GP in Winterton, dentists in Estcourt and Bergville, two hospitals in Ladysmith
- Music in the Mountains at the Drakensberg Boys' Choir School in late April.
- Snow on the High Berg in winter.
- Clivia season in early spring (end of August to mid-September) when this spectacular indigenous lily is in full bloom throughout the Clivi Hill garden.
Clivia Hill Facilities
- Ceiling fans
- Electric under blankets
- Wall heaters
- Mosquitoes burners
- Free Wifi
- Garden grown herbs and flowers
- Large garden giving access to dam
- Log fireplace
- Fully equipped kitchen
- Microwave, toaster
- Fridge, Freezer
- Weber & built-in braai
- Servicing by prior arrangement
- Parking on site
- Pet friendly (by arrangement)
- Private entrance
No smoking in rooms