Cullinan Diamond Mine

Cullinan Diamond Mine

The small mining village of Cullinan, located east of Pretoria, gained world-wide attention with the discovery on June 25 1905 of an incredible 3108 carat stone, dubbed the Cullinan Diamond - the largest uncut diamond ever found. Over the years more that 120 million carats have been mined.

Other notable gemstones unearthed from the Cullinan Mines include the 755 carat Golden Jubilee, the 600 carat Centenary, and the 530 carat Great Star of Africa and the Lesser Star of Africa, both cut from the Cullinan diamond itself.

Today, the giant open pit mine at Cullinan is four times larger than the famous Big Hole of Kimberley! The Cullinan Mine is still fully operational, and in fact still produces 25% of the world's gem-quality diamonds. The Cullinan Mine conducts public tours of both the surface and underground operations. Tour operators explain the geological processes that are responsible for the creation of these illustrious gems. Learn how these diamonds are extracted from the earth and about the delicate cutting operations done by master diamond cutters.

In the centre of the Cullinan Diamond Mine Village is the Cullinan Square, adorned with 8 frescoes painted by Italian prisoners of war. The nearby McHardy House Mini Museum contains family photographs antique furnishings from William McHardy who was the 1st general manager of the Cullinan Mines, previously known as the Premier Mine.

ADDRESS:
Premier Diamond Mine, Cullinan

A tour of the mine sheds some light on the process by which these most noble of the earths stones were formed under great pressure and heat millions of years ago, and on the way in which man extracts them from the earth and shapes them into the desirable objects

Accommodation Near Cullinan Diamond Mine

Sleeps: 12 in 6 units/rooms

Dolphin Whisper Guest House

Bed & Breakfast Accommodation in Cullinan

0.9km North East of Cullinan Diamond Mine

DOLPHIN WHISPER Guest House & Spa Accommodation in Cullinan is situated in the centre of town, were everything is a walking distance. (Diamond Mine, Gym, Rugby field, Golf course, Squash courts, Restaurants, Shops, Churches, Historical buildings...

Direct Enquiry Call Direct

Matalatala Wildlife Reserve

Bed & Breakfast Accommodation in Cullinan

11.2km North West of Cullinan Diamond Mine

Imagine a retreat in the proximity of the City of Tshwane but with the feel of the African Bushveld, close but yet just far enough where you can escape from the humdrum of city life.

Instant Booking Direct Enquiry Call Direct

Riverside Kaia

Self Catering House, Cottage, Chalet Accommodation in Donkerhoek

12.2km South of Cullinan Diamond Mine

Riverside Kaia is located in Donkerhoek outside Pretoria along to N4 Highway towards Witbank. GPS coordinates: S25 46.985 min / E28 27.441. Riverside Kaia is on a 25 Ha farm along the Rhenosterfontein with 500 meter river front.

Sleeps: 6 in 2 units/rooms

Pearl Guest House

Bed & Breakfast Accommodation in Donkerhoek

13.6km South of Cullinan Diamond Mine

The Pearl Guest House in Donkerhoek consists of one cottage and one en-suite room.

Sleeps: 17 in 5 units/rooms

Stumble Inn Game Lodge

Self Catering House, Cottage, Chalet Accommodation in Cullinan

15.4km North West of Cullinan Diamond Mine

Stumble Inn Self Catering game lodge situated just 30 minutes from Pretoria, 1 hour from Johannesburg or 15 minutes from Cullinan. There are five self catering chalets sleeping a maximum of 20 people sharing.

Graded:
Sleeps: 47 in 7 units/rooms

KwaThabisile Game Lodge

Self Catering House, Cottage, Chalet Accommodation in Cullinan

16.0km North West of Cullinan Diamond Mine

KwaThabisile Game Lodge (within 1 hr from Johannesburg & JHB International airport, 30 min from Pretoria) is surrounded by wildlife roaming in a 400 hectare game reserve.

Sleeps: 22 in 10 units/rooms

Guesthouse @ 56

Bed & Breakfast Accommodation in Mooiplaats

16.0km South of Cullinan Diamond Mine

Guesthouse @ 56 is an elegant country guest house conveniently situated 8 km from the city, in the Mooiplaats area, East of Pretoria. Our 7 semi self-catering double rooms are in close proximity to a wide range of outdoor activities, excellent restaurants

Instant Booking

Foundry Guest Lodge

Bed & Breakfast Accommodation in Willow Acres Estate

17.4km South West of Cullinan Diamond Mine

The Guest Lodge, surrounded by indigenous trees, is situated on 4 hectares of land. The main building is a spacious 1040m2 thatched house, consisting of 8 en-suite single/double bedrooms of which 2 are self-catering. Special attention was given to...

Sleeps: 7 in 3 units/rooms

Beka Idube

Self Catering House, Cottage, Chalet Accommodation in De Wagensdrift

17.8km North West of Cullinan Diamond Mine

Need to totally get-away-from-it-all? Each Tent enjoys a private setting with private viewing deck and its own plunge pool (some heated). The ultimate setting for outdoor self-catering. (Regret No Children) Accommodation consists of 3 luxury tents.

Graded:

The Links Guest House

Bed & Breakfast Accommodation in Pretoria East

18.3km South West of Cullinan Diamond Mine

The Links Guest House. We are proud to offer you only the best and that is why we are favoured by many overseas Guests as well as local visitors and corporate Clients including the Embassies. Special attention was given to the interior decorating...