St Lucia Wilds Holiday Units
The coastal small town St Lucia is uniquely surrounded by a World Heritage Site, the iSimangaliso Wetland Park which makes it an ideal base to experience our unspoilt natural heritage in one of the oldest, most diverse reserves in the world. Watch the sun rise over the sea and set over the lake in one day. Experience a game drive, snorkel/swim in the sea, birding, fishing, a boat trip on the lake and short walking trails in a nature reserve from here or just relax and enjoy the sunshine, clean air and tropical forest smells and sounds.
We are located in the main street away from the busy noisy town centre, still within walking distance to shops etc. Units are set in a natural tranquil garden on the lake side but no view of the water of the St Lucia lake. All units have access to the lake via a communal path through the premises. Units have no view of the lake. Guests enjoy the front garden surrounded by mostly indigenous plants, relax on a lounger chair under the trees or cool down in the swimming pool. We have an own area bird and animal list. We provide lots of information and map of this area. The garden is visited by Vervet monkeys, Banded mongoose, Tree squirrels, buck, insects etc. and we try to maintain a healthy food chain by using environmentally friendly products and practices.
We offer self-catering holiday accommodation, with owner family living on the property too. Units are standard, comfortable, no-nonsense, very well equipped, clean and neat. We have 3 joined apartment units and 1 affordable (budget type) flatlet unit. All opening windows and doors have mosquito netting protection.
All units are equipped as follows:
Beds with bedding and bath towels, money box safe. Cutlery, crockery, pot & pans and cooking utensils, Stove (with oven), Microwave oven, Fridge, Toaster and Kettle, dish towel and dishcloth and dish washing liquid. 1 parking bay per unit under roof cover at carport on site. Once daily cleaning service. Own braai facility with grid and garden furniture outside each unit.
Our Cottage/Apartment Units
3 Adjoining units, ground level, 1 unit with 1 bedroom and 2 units with 2 bedrooms each. Units have own (1) bathroom and an open plan kitchen-dining-lounge area. Face brick walls inside and out, ceramic tiled floors, carpeted bedrooms and extra high pine ceilings. Bathroom has bath, separate shower, basin and toilet. One bedroom has an aircon and the other bedroom a ceiling fan and an oscillating fan floor fan in the lounge area. The patio sliding door in lounge opens onto own garden area with a patch of grass separated by plants for some privacy. The living area has a dining table with chairs, lounge chairs and 2 single beds. Fully equipped kitchen area and back door to washing line.
Sleep maximum 4 adults or 6 persons including children (1-12 years) per unit.
Extras: Coffee plunger, Tea pot, Satellite Television (Free channels only- optional bring own decoder+card+cable), washing pegs, braai grid and tongs. Free limited WiFi inside units.
This unit is part of the old original house, converted into a flatlet with some of the old fittings and quirks. The entrance has the only door with 6 steps which lead into the open dining lounge area. To the left is the bathroom with shower, toilet, and basin, through the kitchen. The only bedroom has 1 D/bed and 2 single bunker beds. The bedroom and lounge have a ceiling fan each. Lounge dining area has 2 single stack beds, dining table and lounge chairs. This flatlet is next to the swimming pool with a scattered view of the pool and garden. Communal path leads past the entrance. This unit has windows all around and is elevated. NO TV.
Sleep maximum 4 adults or 6 persons including children (1-12 years) per unit.
Extras: Coffee plunger, Tea pot, washing pegs, braai grid and tongs. NO TV. Free limited WiFi inside Flatlet.
What to bring to St Lucia Wilds
Food, all toiletries, Swimming towels, Insect repellent, Sun Protection (creams and clothes), beach gear (gazebo/chairs), Emergency non-flammable light (torch), Wood / charcoal/ blitz, Drinking water or buy in St Lucia.
Outdoor Activities and Things to do
• Boat Cruises on flat bottom boats to see hippos
• Bicycle riding on walking trail or tours (bring own or rent)
• Birding self or guided (walks and hot spots)
• Fishing - Deep Sea, Surf, Rock, Lake, Fly and drop shot
• Hiking & walking trails ( self or guided)
• Game Watching ( Hluhluwe/Imfolozi Game Reserve, uMkhuze Game Reserve iSimangaliso Wetland Park Western Shores).
• Horse Rides (Beach and/or Bush)
• Night Drives (into Wetland Park 8-11pm guided only)
• Turtle Tours (Nov – Feb guided only)
• Eastern Shores - visit for the day Cape Vidal game drive route - Picnic /snorkel walking to tower/ fishing/birding and swimming in the sea.
• Eastern Shores - Mission Rocks – rock fishing, tidal pools explore, picnic, walking to bat's cave, Mount Tabor viewing deck dune walk.
• Eastern Shores game drive with bird hides, loop roads and viewing decks along route.
• Whale Watching (Advantage Charter June - November)
• Read a book, sleep late, relax.
• Safe Swimming in the sea or swimming pool
• Water: Rive and borehole treated with much chlorine. Purified bottled water is recommended for sensitive systems, supply own purified water.
• Climate: Sub-tropical, very humid summers, warm winters, all year rainfall peak in summer.
• Malaria: no risk area (non-drug measurements recommended). Season starts October, peaks Feb/Mar, ends May. Drug related precaution is your choice and responsibility.
• Permits: Ensure you have the necessary documents for activities that require permits on your person. You are responsible to familiarize yourself with sizes, bag limits and specific activity areas park rules and regulations.
• Swimming: Beaches are unprotected, no shark nets, no lifeguards. Lots of rip currents and strong side currents.
• We are surrounded by wild animals and share their living space. We do not kill poisonous or dangerous wild visitors to our property, we rather use this opportunity to educate.
Facilities in town
Laundromats, Post Office, Police station Pharmacy, Restaurants, Coffee Shops, Liquor stores, Butchery at BananaBox, Supermarket shops, Hardware, Hairdresser, Beauty Salon Nelique, Curios, Fruit Market, Brand Beach and Clothes shops, Bait & Tackle Shop, Photo & Internet Shop, Stationery/Business/Book/Craft Shop, Petrol Stations, Banks: FNB open weekdays. Bank teller Machines: Bidvest, FNB, Nedbank, Standard Bank and Capitec inside BananaBox.
General Terms and Conditions
We charge a refundable key & breakage fee of R300.00 that will only be refunded after a unit has been checked. Should you depart early, we will mail or electronically refund the fee.
We reserve the Right of Admission as per Conditions of Stay policy.
Reservation will automatically be cancelled if the deposit payment is not received by due date. No persons other than those quoted for are permitted to share accommodation and facilities. Children are counted as part of persons per unit, no extra mattresses/beds.
All units are Non-Smoking as required by law.
No day or over-night visitors are allowed to visit at your unit.
Operate the air-conditioner and other equipment as requested only.
The following can not be allowed on the premises
Plastic wheel bikes/trikes, skateboards, noisy toys, ketties, toy guns, any type of fireworks or crackers. Quad bikes or motorised toys and drones. Loudness unruly and drunken behaviour. Litter & cigarette butts on our premises. Drinking and eating in the swimming pool.
- Awards & Accreditations As Claimed By The Establishment
- Guest House Accommodation of South Africa
- Listed with the Department of Environmental Affairs
- air conditioner (some units)
- big game (less than 30km)
- Braai / Barbeque facilities
- car hire (less than 20km)
- ceiling fans in bedrooms
- communal pool
- free parking
- guided nature walks
- horse riding (less than 5km)
- laundry facilities (less than 2km)
- lock-up safe
- Malaria free
- No smoking in rooms
- outdoor pool
- parking all onsite
- parking onsite
- tea / coffee making facilities
Go left at the Mtuba turn off (Road sign), turn left on the bridge and turn left again at the first traffic light. You will pass the town (on your right), you are now on the R618 to St. Lucia about 25km further.
From Durban, Cape Town, Richards Bay, Empangeni
Take the left side turn off at the Mtuba turn off (Road sign), turn right and go under the bridge. At the T-junction, turn left, go straight across first traffic lights and turn right at the second intersection traffic lights. You will pass the town (On your right), you are now on the R618 to St. Lucia about 25km further.
St. Lucia - 25km - Mtuba
Mtuba - 165km - Pngola
Pongola - 120km - Piet Retief
Piet Retief - 100km - Ermelo
Ermelo - 75km - Bethal
bethal - 50km - JHB
St. Lucia - 260km - DBN
St. Lucia - 650km - JHB
St. Lucia - 660km - Nelspruit