St Lucia Wilds Holiday Units
The coastal small town St Lucia is uniquely surrounded by a World Heritage Site, the iSimangaliso Wetland Park which makes it an ideal base to experience our unspoilt natural heritage in one of the oldest, most diverse reserves in the world. Watch the sun rise over the sea and set over the lake in one day. Experience a game drive, snorkel/swim in the sea, birding, fishing, a boat trip on the lake and short walking trails in a nature reserve from here or just relax and enjoy the sunshine, clean air and tropical forest smells and sounds.
We are located in the main street away from the busy noisy town centre, still within walking distance to shops etc. Units are set in a natural tranquil garden on the banks of the St Lucia Estuary/Lake. All units have access to the lake via a communal path through the premises. Units have no view of the lake. You can enjoy the front garden view of the Estuary, relax on a lounger chair under the trees or cool down in the swimming pool. We are a Birder Friendly Establishment with own garden list. We provide lots of information and maps of this area. The garden is visited by Vervet monkeys, Banded mongoose, Tree squirrels, buck, insects etc. and we try to maintain a healthy food chain by using environmentally friendly products and practices.
We offer self-catering holiday accommodation, with owner family living on property. Units are standard, comfortable, no-nonsense, very well equipped, clean and neat. We have 3 joined apartment units and 1 affordable (budget type) flatlet unit. All opening windows and doors have mosquitoe gause protection.
All units are equipped as follows:
Beds with bedding and bath towels Cutlery, crockery, pot & pans and cooking utensils Stove (with oven), microwave Fridge Toaster and Kettle Dishtowel and dishcloth and dishwashing liquid Television 1 parking bay per unit under roof cover Once daily cleaning service Money Box Safe Own braai facility with grid and garden furniture outside unit
Our Apartment Units
3 Adjoining units, ground level, 1 unit with 1 bedroom and 2 units with 2 bedrooms each. Units have own (1) bathroom and an open plan kitchen-dining-lounge area. Face brick walls inside and out, ceramic tiled floors, carpeted bedrooms and extra high pine ceilings. One bedroom has an aircon and every other room an oscillating fan. The patio sliding door in lounge opens onto own garden area with a patch of grass separated by plants for some privacy. Bathroom has bath, separate shower, basin and toilet. Dining area has dining table with chairs, lounge chairs and 2 single beds. Fully equipped kitchen area and back door to washing line.
These are wheelchair accessible. Sleep max 4 or 6 persons per unit.
Extras: Coffee plunger, Satellite Television (Channels- Mnet, Movie 1-2, all sports, sabc , e-tv)
This unit is part of the original house, converted into a flatlet with some old original fittings. The entrance has the only door with 6 steps which lead into the open dining lounge area with tv (sabc channels and e-tv). To the left is the bathroom with shower, toilet, and basin and the kitchen. The bedroom and lounge have a ceiling fan each. The only bedroom has 1 D/bed and 2 single bunker beds. Lounge dining area has 2 single stack beds, dining table and lounge chairs. This flatlet is next to the swimming pool with a scattered view of the lake. Communal path leads past the entrance. This unit has windows all around.
What to bring to St Lucia Wilds
Food, all toiletries, Swimming towels, Insect repellent, sunscreen cream, Emergency non-flammable light (torch), Wood / charcoal and blitz Drinking water or buy in St Lucia
Outdoor Activities and Things to do
- Boat Cruises on the lake Bicycle tours (bring own or rent)
- Fishing - Deep Sea, Surf, Rock, Lake, Fly and drop shot
- Hiking & walking trails ( self or guided)
- Game Watching ( Hluhluwe/Imfolozi Game Reserve, uMkhuze Game Reserve, Wetland Park)
- Horse Rides (Beach and/or Bush)
- Kayaking on the lake - guided Kayak fishing in the sea (especially at Cape Vidal)
- Night Drives (into Wetland Park 8-11pm guided only)
- Turtle Tours (Nov - Feb)
- Visit Cape Vidal/Mission Rocks - Picnic /snorkel /game drive/ fishing/birding / hiking with guide
- Whale Watching (Advantage Charter June - November)
- Zulu Culture tours, activities
- Read a book, sleep late, relax.
- Swimming in the sea or swimming pool
- Water: Borehole purified water although bottled water is recommended for sensitive systems.
- Cholera: No threat in St Lucia.
- Climate: Sub-tropical, very humid summers, warm winters, all year rainfall peak in summer.
- Malaria: no risk area (non-drug measurements recommended). Season starts October, peaks Feb/Mar, ends May. Drug related precaution is your choice and responsibility.
- Permits: Ensure you have the necessary documents for activities that require permits on your person. You are responsible to familiarize yourself with sizes, bag limits and specific activity areas park rules and regulations. Swimming: Beaches are unprotected, no shark nets, no lifeguards. Lots of rip currents and strong side currents.
- We are surrounded by wild animals and share their living space. We do not kill poisonous or dangerous wild visitors to our property, we rather use this opportunity to educate.
Facilities in town
Laundromats, Post Office, Police station Pharmacy (Drug Store), Medical doctors, Restaurants, Coffee Shop, Deli, Liquor stores, Take Away Butchery, Supermarket shops, Hardware, Hairdresser, Beauty Salon Nelique, Curios, Fruit Market, Clothes, Bait & Tackle Shops, Photo Shop, internet Cafe, Petrol (Gas) Stations, Out door shop with Books, business centre Shop, Banks: FNB open weekdays. Bank teller Machines: ABSA, FNB, Nedbank, Standard Bank Bureau de Change (Paw Print) Check with your provider for 3G, GPRS etc. reception here.
General Terms and Conditions
We charge a refundable key & breakage fee of R200.00 per unit that will only be refunded after a unit has been checked. Should you depart early, we will mail or electronically refund the fee. Reservation will automatically be cancelled if the deposit payment is not received by due date. No persons other than those quoted for are permitted to share accommodation and facilities. Children are counted as part of persons per unit, no extra mattresses/beds. All units are Non-Smoking as required by law. No day or over-night visitors are allowed. Operate the air-conditioner as requested only. The following will not be allowed on the premises: Plastic wheel bikes/trikes, skateboards, noisy toys, ketties, toy guns, any type of fireworks or crackers. Quad bikes or motorised toys. Loudness unruly and drunken behaviour. Litter & cigarette butts on our premises. Drinking and eating in the swimming pool.
- Awards & Accreditations As Claimed By The Establishment
- Guest House Accommodation of South Africa
- Listed with the Department of Environmental Affairs
- air condition in main bedroom only
- air conditioner
- air conditioner (some units)
- barbeque area
- big game (less than 30km)
- Bird watching
- boat trips (less than 5km)
- bowls (less than 5km)
- braai / barbecue - onsite
- Braai / Barbeque facilities
- car hire (less than 20km)
- ceiling fans
- ceiling fans in bedrooms
- DSTV (bring card and decoder)
- DSTV in room - limited package
- DTSV in unit (bring card)
- fire extinguisher
- fishing (less than 10km)
- flat screen TV
- free Wi Fi
- free WiFi
- fridge in unit
- fridge/ freezer
- fully contained Kitchen
- game drives (less than 30km)
- gas braai / barbecue
- guided nature walks
- hair dryer
- hiking (less than 5km)
- horse riding (less than 50km)
- horse riding (less than 5km)
- kitchen (fully equipped)
- lake (less than 5km)
- lake onsite
- laundry facilities (less than 2km)
- linen & towels provided
- lock-up safe
- Malaria free
- microwave in unit
- nature trail (less than 2km)
- No smoking in rooms
- outdoor pool
- parking all onsite
- Personal safe in all rooms
- Portable (movable) fans in cottage
- reptile park (less than 20km)
- restaurant (less than 2km)
- restaurant (walking distance)
- stove in unit
- tea / coffee making facilities
- Tea and coffee making facilities
- whale watching (less than 10km)
- wi-fi / hotspot
Turn left at the Mtuba turn off (Road sign), turn left again at the next intersection. You will pass the town (on your right), you are now on the R618 to St. Lucia about 25km further.
From Durban, Cape Town, Richards Bay, Empangeni.
Turn right at the Mtuba turn off (Road sign), turn left at the T-junction, turn right at the 2nd intersection. You will pass the town (On your right), you are now on the R618 to St. Lucia about 25km further.
St. Lucia - 25km - Mtuba
Mtuba - 165km - Pngola
Pongola - 120km - Piet Retief
Piet Retief - 100km - Ermelo
Ermelo - 75km - Bethal
bethal - 50km - JHB
St. Lucia - 260km - DBN
St. Lucia - 650km - JHB
St. Lucia - 660km - Nelspruit