The Rudd House is situated in Loch Road in Begravia in the North Western Province of South Africa. The Rudd House, once known as “The Bungalow” was built on a Plot 931 in the late 1880’s and eventually in 1896 it was transferred to Charles Dunnel Rudd.
Charles Dunnel Rudd was born in 1844 and arrived on the Diamond Fields in 1870. In 1871, Cecil John Rhodes joined him and they became business partners. They formed the De Beers Mining Company in 1880, with Charles as chairman and managing director and Cecil as the company’s first secretary.
In 1898, Charles’ son, Henry Percy Rudd became the owner of “The Bungalow” and on his death in 1961, left the house to his widow, Emilie. She returned to the Rudd House and lived there until her death in 1963. In 1968, Dr Richard Liversidge, the director of the McGregor Museum at the time, approached De Beers Consolidated Mines Ltd. He wanted the compant to buy the house and donate it to the museum. The McGregor Museum restored the Rudd House and it was opened to the public in 1988. In 1990 it was declared a national monument.
For more information contact +27(0)53-842-0099. The Rudd House may be viewed by appointment only with a maximum of 15 persons per group.
Nearby Points Of Interest:Top 100 South African Wines Festival
, Oktober Bierfest Cape Town
, Johannesburg Shopping Festival
, Getaway Travel and Tourism Conference
, Montagu Village Market
, Montagu Art in Autumn Expo
, Randburg Open Day
, The Johannesburg International Motor Show
, The Gay and Lesbian Wedding Show
, Mzansi Fela Festival
, Professional Beauty Johannesburg
, DR Church Bazaar
, Friends of the Zoo Fun Run/Walk - Pretoria
, Boo at the Zoo – Gauteng