Hillside Farm is a 4th generation working family farm situated in the Southern Free State. The main areas of the farming enterprise are Merino wool sheep and a Red Angus cattle stud. The farm is an ideal stopover between 'north and south' - between
- Gauteng / Limpopo / Northern Province/ KZN, and
- the Eastern or Western Cape,
Or as a weekend getaway from the city where you can enjoy pristine nature at its best, complete with the sound of birdsong in the garden and clear night skies. Bring a good book and some walking shoes!
Luxury guest accommodation is offered in three separate units:
Len's cottage was originally built in 1929. Renovations, which include the addition of a modern bathroom and a compact kitchenette, were completed in 2012. Care was taken to preserve the architectural integrity of the original structure. It is situated in a quiet corner of the large, established farmhouse garden, overlooking the rose garden. Len's cottage has
- One bedroom (queen size bed),
- Large en suite bathroom
- Kitchenette and lounge (equipped with bar fridge, microwave oven, and a sleeper couch for use where necessary)
- Outdoor sitting area.
The Tree House finishing touches were finalised in December 2015. This family unit is modern and spacious, and has folding stacking windows which open to a lovely view over the main garden. (please note that this unit is accessed by way of a flight of stairs - it is not wheelchair friendly). The Tree House is made up of
- Main bedroom (queen size bed) and full en suite bathroom
- 2nd bedroom (twin) en suite (full bathroom)
- 3rd bedroom (twin) en suite (shower, no bath)
- Kitchenette (equipped with full sized fridge freezer, microwave oven)
- Dining area
From this guest suite, the upstairs portion of the main house, one can enjoy an unobstructed view over the garden. It is a large family unit with:
- an expansive, sunny main bedroom with queen sized bed
- en suite bathroom
- a small kitchen with a separate dining area
- large north facing lounge with fireplace
- Two additional single beds are located in the "sleeping porch" - where one can appreciate the stars and fresh night air from the comfort of your bed! It is a mosquito proof room which fronts onto the balcony.
This unit has a private entrance from outside, and is accessed by way of a flight of stairs – it is not wheelchair friendly.
We provide dinner by arrangement, where a choice of home cooked meals is available. Breakfast is laid on in the respective units for you to help yourself to in the morning.
On the farm:
- Walks and picnic
- Star gazing
- Swimming pool
- Tennis court (with cricket net)
- Observation of farm activities (seasonal - including shearing, milking, feeding lambs and others)
- Mountain biking trails - (own bikes, please)
Within an hour's drive:
- Anglo Boer War Concentration camp cemetery
- Gariep Dam
- Letsatsi Game Lodge
- Tussen die Riviere Nature Reserve and Game Park
We are situated less than 1km off the N1 between the towns of Trompsburg (14km north of us) and Springfontein (9km south of us).
- heaters in unit
- kitchenette only
- outdoor pool
- parking all onsite
- tea / coffee making facilities
- tennis court onsite