Shelly Beach : Accommodation, Activities, Restaurants & Points Of Interest
Tidal Pool in front of 19 Bondi (credits)
Shelly Beach is situated half way between Margate and Port Shepstone. The village gets its name from the wide variety of shells that can be found on the beach after high tide. The finest miniature Pink Lady shells can be found on Shelly Beach. The "Blue Flag" beach has shark nets and is patrolled by lifeguards during school holidays.
There is a reef about 1500 metres out to sea. This reef is popular with scuba divers. There is a further submerged reef, the renowned Pretoria Banks, some seven kilometers out to sea, which is also a popular diving destination, teeming with fish and sharks.
Other popular watersports include canoeing & boating on one of the many lagoons in Shelly Beach. Shelly Beach has the busiest small craft harbour on the South Coast. Visitors can charter boats either for scuba diving, dolphin and whale watching, or deep-sea fishing expeditions.
Shelly Beach Centre has more than 100 enticing shops and department stores as well as cinemas, with ample secure parking.
For the adrenaline junkies Oribi Gorge boasts one of the highest swings in the world. The Pure Venom Reptile Park at Shelly Beach is said to be the largest reptile farm in Africa, has an amazing collection of indigenous and exotic reptiles, which include both alligators and crocodiles. The park also features a fully licensed restaurant with an A-La-Carte menu, and big screen TV, which can be hired out for private functions such weddings seminars and conferences. While at the park one can also stop by the "Creepy Curio Shop" which sells curios, special souvenirs, unique clothing, and a variety of reptiles and accessories.
- Mallards & Mercury Ski-Boat Festival (0.30km)
- Pure Venom Reptile Park (3.69km)
- Harley Davidson Bike Africa Week (5.72km)
- Banana Express (8.41km)
- Port Shepstone Lighthouse (8.69km)
- The Annual Lions South Coast Show (10.84km)
- Riverbend Crocodile Farm (14.05km)
- Frederika Nature Reserve (15.18km)
- Barn Swallows of Umkobi Lagoon (17.12km)
- Oribi Gorge Nature Reserve (17.14km)
- Mpenjati Nature Reserve (22.00km)
- See All Accommodation Listings Here
- Bed & Breakfast/ Guest House/ Guest Lodge
- Self Catering Apartment/ Flat
- Self Catering Chalet/ Townhouse
- Self Catering Cottage/ House/ Bungalow
- See All Activity Listings Here
- Boat Trips
- Ocean Safaris
- Scuba Diving
- Shark Cage Diving