Scottburgh : Accommodation, Activities, Restaurants & Points Of Interest
Scottburgh (pronounced scott-burra) is a resort town situated on the mouth of the Mpambanyoni River (confuser of birds), 58 km south of Durban on KwaZulu-Natal South Coast in South Africa (credits)
Scottburgh is well known for its beaches, which are well protected by shark nets, and lifeguards all year round. The area is also popular with fisherman, who either fish from the surf or off the rocks. The beach sees much activity during the shad season, and even more during the annual sardine run.
Kids Entertainment includes a supertube, tidal pool on the beach, paddling pool, and a miniature railway.
There are plenty of sporting facilities, including tennis, bowling at the local Scottburgh Country Club, and the 18-hole golf course.
The Green Point Lighthouse which overlooks the town was built in 1905 to warn mariners of the famous Aliwal Shoal a few kilometers out to sea.
The Aliwal Shoal with its rich abundance in marine and plant life, and other magnificent underwater locations like Lander's Reef make for excellent diving spots. Other than the fish and sea life, there are also a number of shipwrecks waiting to be explored, providing visitors with a truly unforgettable experience.
Snorkelling is also popular in the numerous rock pools at Scottburgh, while surfers from all over the province make their way to Scottburgh to ride the excellent waves.
The river and coastal bush habitat of the 60ha TC Robertson Nature Reserve provide much delight for nature lovers with a wide variety of water fowl and various small mammasl. Facilities in the reserve include a braai and picnic spot, and visitors can enjoy self-guided trails.
Tourists seeking a cultural experience can see the vibrant and highly energetic traditional Zulu dancing. Or watch Nile crocodiles
being fed at Croc World, about 4km outside of town. Tours to one of South Africa's largest sugar mills, the Sezela Sugar Mill, can also be arranged.
- G.J. Crookes Hospital (1.42km)
- Scottburgh Mall (1.86km)
- Scottburgh Airfield (3.32km)
- Crocworld Conservation Center (3.40km)
- SAPS - Umkomaas (9.14km)
- Saiccor Hospital (9.51km)
- Empisini Nature Reserve (9.96km)
- Sardine Run (10.22km)
- Selborne Hotel Spa & Golf Estate (12.36km)
- Massam's Confectionery Cc (15.74km)
- Vernon Crookes Nature Reserve (17.43km)
- Ilanda Wilds Nature Reserve (28.10km)
- Virgin Active Amanzimtoti (28.71km)
- Dick King Half Marathon (28.81km)
- Kuswag Carnival (29.90km)
- See All Accommodation Listings Here
- Bed & Breakfast/ Guest House/ Guest Lodge
- Hotel/ Boutique Hotel
- See All Self Catering Listings Here
- Self Catering Apartment/ Flat
- Self Catering Chalet/ Townhouse
- Self Catering Cottage/ House/ Bungalow