Amber Avenue Guesthouse, (formerly known as Harrow Hill farm), is situated at 8 Karkloof Road, very close to Howick Village and the Amber Developments (Amber Valley etc). You can’t miss our elegant post- and – rail entrance!
We offer a 5-bedroomed B&B where our guests can enjoy the peaceful surroundings with cattle grazing in the paddocks and are welcome to walk and enjoy the property which includes a dam, 20 hectares of scenic farmland, a tennis court and swimming pool.
We also host high-tea parties or luncheons for special occasions in our spectacular country garden (bookings in advance.)
Amber Avenue B&B
Our B&B has a communal Sitting Room and elegant Dining Room, where breakfasts are served. The TV lounge has Wi-Fi and a large flat-screen TV with DSTV. Guests can relax on our veranda or on the seating provided in the peaceful garden.
The bedrooms each have their own bathroom and are extremely comfortable with percale linen, a hair dryer, electric blanket, desk/dressing table and relaxing chairs.
Bedroom 1: The Elegant Suite has a luxury queen sized bed, spacious room with comfy chairs. Bath/shower en suite.
Bedroom 2: The Magnolia Suite has a luxury queen size bed, ample cupboard space and a private bathroom.
Bedroom 3: The Darling Suite has twin beds in a cosy room and a private bathroom.
Bedroom 4: The Executive Suite has a luxury queen bed and shower en suite.
Bedroom 5: The Family Suite has a luxury queen bed and a 3 sleeper bunk bed. Bathroom en suite.
Nearby Attractions Places of Interest:
- The Capture Site - marking the spot when Nelson Mandela was indeed captured, this site has been transformed into a well-designed timeline of Mandela’s life history and the famous wrought iron sculpture of his face, only seen from a certain vantage point.
- Fort Nottingham
- Hilton Station Railway
- Zulu Lulu Art House (083 627 3491)
- Ardmore Ceramic Art (033 940 0034)
- Simply Sam Antiques (083 450 4157)
- The Midlands Mall is a large Mall with hundreds of shops to cater for any shoppers’ needs.
- Places such as The Junction have arty home decor and curios worth stopping for. Curios on a smaller scale, made by local artists can be found at Howick Falls, after marvelling at the view.
- There is also a Howick Falls Gorge walk to the bottom if you are feeling energetic.
- Rotunda Farm Stall and Swissland Cheese are a must see for wholesome edible goods.
- The Midlands Meander has a variety of local craft stores and stops along the route where beautiful local goods can be purchased. One such stop is for glassware at Buchanan Interiors. Buy your magazine with the route options from Amber Avenue.
- Early Saturday morning Karkloof Farmer’s Market Visit (open from 7:00am) for breakfast, coffee and lovely locally produced food and other items to purchase.
- Secret Picnic Spot at Karkloof Falls.
- Piggly Wiggly Country Village.
- Nelson Mandela Capture Site.
- Umgeni Valley Nature Reserve.
- Butterflies for Africa.
- Art Classes at Zulu Lulu’s or Aladdins.
- MTB or fishing at St. Ives.
- Putt-Putt at Millgate Cottage.
- Chocolate dipping at Chocolate Heaven.
- The Junction will keep you entertained for an afternoon, provides a meal and entertainment for kiddies
Outdoor and Active
- 5km Park Run Route at Piggly- Wiggly : Saturday 8:00am. Visitors welcome.
- Paintball activities take place at Yellowwood Cafe along the Karkloof Rd. Phone 033 330 2461 for details.
- Zip lining can be done at Karkloof Canopy Tours, a beautiful treetop experience. Phone 033 330 3415 for details. Fliers available from Amber Avenue office.
- Bicycles can be rented from St. Ives Lodge (0332344490) and Aladdin-de-LIGHT (0332666460). Karkloof MTB trails are recommended by locals and visitors alike.
- Golfers tee off at Boschhoek Golf Club (0332344232) or Sakabula (0333306751).
- Walkers and hikers we offer trails right on our doorsteps, available to guests only. Other options include St. Ives* (0332344490), Waterford Manor (073 260 7423), Hawklee Country House (0330070549), Groundcover Leather Company* (033 330 6092), Giant’s Castle* (036 353 3718), Fordoun (033 266 6217) and Everglades (033 234 9042). *Picnic spots available
- For a trot on a horse, Bergtrails (0824417926) or Antbear Luxury Cave (0764412362)can assist.
- Take a break on the water and visit Midmar Dam (033 330 2067) for a sailing experience. Canoeing is also available and can be done at Fordoun (033 266 6217) as well.
- Spa retreat after a busy weekend at the Brookdale Health Hydro (0332666208), Fordoun Leisure (0332666208) or Granny Mouse Country House and Spa (0332344071).
Local Food Fare
- Terbodore Coffee Roasters (061 518 3890) The Orchard House at St John’s Village (033 342 8359)
- The Farmer’s Daughter (033 330 2958) Chinwag Coffee shop (033 330 6432)
- Café Classic (033 330 2492) The Treatery
- Granny Doris (0836092884) Steampunk Café S2927581 E3009190
- Piggly Wiggly (033 234 2911)
- Tumble Downs (082 802 2837) Fern Hill Hotel (033 330 5071)
- The Black Olive (033 330 6748) Delish Dish (033 330 5036)
- Rawdon’s Hotel and Country Estate (033 266 6044) – locally produced beer tastings and G 'n Ts