Cramond, Pietermaritzburg Holidays - Midlands & Battlefields, KwaZulu Natal
Click here for Cramond Accommodation
Located less than 3km from the scenic KwaZulu Natal Albert Falls Dam, you'll find the small Midlands & Battlefields village of Cramond. Albert Falls Dam is known as one of the top bass fishing dams in the world, which annually hosts an international bass fishing competition. Cramond / Albert Falls is situated in the Albert Falls Dam Nature Reserve, home to an abundance of birdlife. If you tire of Albert Falls fishing, you can see zebra, antelope, rhino and giraffe on foot, or from game viewing vehicles.
On the banks of Albert Falls Dam, you'll find comfortable basic Cramond Self Catering accommodation at Fish Eagles Lair. Most of the time there is no electricity, so you are advised to bring books and games to play, as in Cramond you have to let nature provide the music.
Besides fishing, visitors to Cramond will enjoy popular family activities which include sailing, canoeing, windsurfing and water skiing. Cycle or hike the secluded Albert Falls / Cramond nature trails around the Albert Falls Dam, which is also filled with delightful picnic spots.
Cramond on Albert Falls Dam is just a 30 minute (20kms) drive from Pietermaritzburg, the administrative capital of KwaZulu Natal. Set amidst forested hills and the rolling countryside of the Midlands & Battlefields, Pietermaritzburg is centrally situated between Durban, the Drakensberg and KwaZulu-Natal game reserves, and is one of the best-preserved Victorian cities in the world.
Pietermaritzburg offers a veritable feast of present-day experiences, and in order to absorb the ambiance of this historic city, there's a wide variety of Pietermaritzburg Area accommodation to suit the overnighter in Star Graded Pietermaritzburg Bed & Breakfast accommodation, or for longer stays, Pietermaritzburg Self Catering accommodation.
WhereToStay recommends "The Natal Midlands & Battlefields Amble"
- Start at Albert Falls Dam - the heart of the Midlands & Battlefields Amble. Cramond Self Catering accommodation guarantees you tranquillity away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. See the Where to Stay Cramond accommodation page.
- Stay in Pietermaritzburg in the Natal Midlands & Battlefields (20kms from Cramond), and experience this historic city and surrounding area while staying in Pietermaritzburg accommodation. See the Where to Stay Pietermaritzburg accommodation page.
- Mooiriver in the Natal Midlands & Battlefields (62km from Pietermaritzburg) forms part of the arts and crafts Midlands & Battlefields route, and has delightful Mooriver accommodation options both in town and further afield. Mooriver is known as the place where you will discover a sense of wholeness and peace.
- Ladysmith in the Midlands & Battlefields (108km from Mooiriver) offers guided day trips to the famous battlefields of Rorke's Drift, Isandlwana Battlefields, Blood River Battlefield, Colenso Battlefield, Vaalkrans Battlefield, Tugela Heights Battlefield, Spioenkop Battlefield, and the Battlefield of Elandslaagte. Stay in luxurious Ladysmith accommodation at the Nambiti Private Game Reserve accommodation, or more 'local' Ladysmith accommodation in the heart of town. See the Where to Stay Ladysmith accommodation page.
- Dundee in the Natal Midlands & Battlefields (71km from Ladysmith) - It was here, at the battle of Talana 1899, that the first shots of The Anglo Boer War were fired. You will find a variety of Dundee bush lodge accommodation, and Dundee Bed & Breakfast accommodation to stay in while you explore the surrounding Battlefield areas. See the Where to Stay Dundee accommodation page.
- Rorke's Drift in the Midlands & Battlefields (42km from Dundee). Nearby is the place of the 1838 "Battle of Blood River", where about 10 000-20 000 Zulu warriors attacked 470 Voortrekkers who with the advantage of gun powder, warded them off. iSibindi Zulu Lodge - Rorke's Drift private game reserve accommodation, makes for a profound 'African' experience, as the accommodation units are designed to resemble Zulu beehive huts. See the Where to Stay Rorke's Drift accommodation page.
- Greytown in the Midlands & Battlefields (111km from Rorke's Drift). Greytown is renowned for the belief that the Liberation Struggle for a democratic South Africa began here almost a century ago, with the Bambatha Rebellion. Greytown is also the birth place of South Africa's first Prime Minister. Stay at Star Graded Greytown Bed & Breakfast accommodation in one of the oldest homes in Greytown, now beautifully restored. See the Where to Stay Greytown accommodation page.
- Back to Cramond / Albert Falls Dam (55km from Greytown).