The Old Hatchery Self-Catering
The Old Hatchery offers self-catering options with a full a la carte restaurant, set in a tranquil country scenery just 10km from Underberg in the Southern Drakensberg. Located near horse riding trails, mountain biking trails, hiking routes, golf courses, trout fishing waters and of course the infamous Sani Pass.
We have 4 self-catering units to choose from. You are more than welcome to have any meal in our a la carte restaurant. We have free wifi in the restaurant.
Kingfisher: Three en suite bedrooms. One double rooms and two twin rooms + an extra sleeper couch in the lounger. This cottage is a popular choice for families and small groups of couples wanting some time away in the Berg. The kitchen comes fully equipped with all cutlery & crockery etc. There is a TV in the Lounge but please bring your own DSTV decoder. You can get your car to this unit.
Fishing cabins: We have 3 of these delightful little cabins that are suitable for couples. Each of them has a fireplace, bathroom, kitchenette and braai facilities. From the parking area, you walk along the wooden decking and over our gorgeous little waterfall to get to the cabins, no parking at the cabins. No TV's in these units
Reasons to visit Underberg:
- Guided Sani Pass 4x4 trips
- Breathtaking mountain hikes
- Horse riding trails
- Trout fishing
- Mountain biking
- Equestrian events
- San rock art
- Autumn, Winter, Spring and Summer ... and all the beautiful scenery they provide!
Notice how it's all about the outdoors. We don't have TV's in all of our units, we want you to hear the sound of the water flowing and the jackals talking to each other at night.â€¨â€¨
What to bring:
- Firewood & firelighters (we do sell bags)
- Food if you are not eating in the restaurant
- Passport for your trip up Sani Pass into Lesotho
- Bring your sense of adventure and come and explore our beautiful countryside to recharge your soul
We are situated one hour from Howick on the N3 and one hour from Kokstad, making Underberg is the ideal location from which to explore the majestic mountains of the Southern Drakensberg. We are on the route between Johannesburg and seaside resorts of the KwaZulu Natal South Coast and The Wild Coast making this the ideal location to stop over for the night. Our nearest airport is King Shaka International Airport (3 hours drive)
- Awards & Accreditations As Claimed By The Establishment
- Guest House Accommodation of South Africa
- fishing onsite
- horse riding (less than 5km)
- lake onsite
- parking all onsite
- restaurant onsite
- tea / coffee making facilities