Situated right on the exquisite natural beauty of the Klein River; 21 hectares, north facing with uninterrupted views of the Klein River mountains that run parallel to the river. Five beautiful double rooms each with en suite bathrooms and covered patios and BBQ facilities available - all have views of the river. The upstairs honeymoon suite (Fish Eagle Suite) boasts stunning views both from the bed and bath.
We offer DSTV, fans for summer, under floor heating for winter, heated towel rails, pure cotton linen, towels, swimming pool (bring your own swimming/beach towels), use of canoes and have secure parking.
Ideal for paddling, rowing or boating with a bird sanctuary on the river the one way and Stanford historic village the other way or just swim in this lazy, tranquil, inviting and safe river.
- Canoeing & paddling, as we are situated on the Klein River, put on your costumes and walk to the canoes on the bank and try to spot the elusive otters and terrapins
- Excellent safe swimming on our doorstep
- Walk around the property and sit on the benches under the trees overlooking the river and soak up the beautiful scenery.
The River Meander walkway in Stanford village follows the river from one side of Stanford to the other.
Stroll around the historic town, stop at the art galleries, antique shops and junk shop.
3, 4 & 7km Nature trails at Salmonsdam Nature Reserve
- We are but a short paddle from a bird sanctuary at the estuary to the Klein River lagoon. Over 100 species can be spotted in the area. Stanford hosts the annual Glendower Birding Fair every September.
- Great mountain bike rides on mountain roads and the safe Napier road has a wide shoulder and smooth tar for road bikes
- There is a new Fisherman's Trail in the Walker Bay Nature Reserve (only accessible with a 4x4) which takes you to secluded beaches and the various fishing spots from where you can fish or just sit on the beach
- from these secluded, and often deserted, beaches
Quad Bike Trails
- EcoQuad on the Robert Stanford Estate just outside Stanford take you through the vineyards & up into the Klein River Mountains.
- Springfontein Wine Estate, our neighbour, is a 5 minute walk away, Raka is a 15 minute drive & Jacksons 10 minutes.
- at Birkenhead Brewery & Restaurant
- Visit the Klein River Cheese factory where you can taste and buy cheese as well as picnic baskets which you can enjoy on the banks of the river
- The African Horse Co. (5 mins walk) have horse trails for all levels
- on the Platanna (2 hour cruise) or on the African Queen
- From world class restaurants to quaint country pubs for breakfasts, lunches and dinners
Within 20 minutes drive from Stanford you will find the resort town of Hermanus with its many shops and restaurants, wine tasting, 11km cliff path walk, excellent whale watching (the Whale Festival is held in September), flea markets, art galleries, deep sea fishing and golf course as well as long white beaches.
Gansbaai is in the other direction and boasts the best great white shark encounters, boat trips, fishing trips, beaches and wonderful views of Walker Bay.
Agulhas, the tip of Africa, is 120km away and makes a great day trip from the Lodge.