Experience the only Game Viewing and Tiger Fishing Houseboats in South Africa on one of its largest dams, Lake Jozini (also known as Pongolapoort Lake), on the KwaZulu- Natal North Coast, 3.5 hrs drive from King Shaka International Airport, north of Durban. Onboard Shayamanzi Houseboats you will experience a unique combination of luxurious and wonderfully staffed accommodation, whilst enjoying the calm serenity of the open Lake Jozini waters. Enjoy soaking up the stunning scenery of the Lebombo Mountains and superb wildlife of the Pongola Game Reserve on the shores of the lake. Enjoy exceptional and safe Game Viewing in the heart of the Zululand bushveld and the chance to participate in the thrill of Tiger Fishing. Shayamanzi is about taking time out to appreciate Africa’s special wonders.
A 25 metre x 8 metre, double pontoon houseboat launched in October 2002.
• 6 air-conditioned en-suite cabins, each sleeping 2 passengers (double or single beds), which are en-suite with shower, basin and toilet. The cabins are 3.6m x 3.5m and airy with large sliding glass doors as your boundary to the water. Shayamanzi l can accommodate up to 12 passengers.
• 4 crew
• 2 tender boats
• 8 seater jacuzzi
A 30 metre x 8.6 metre, double pontoon houseboat launched in September 2007.
• 10 air-conditioned, en-suite cabins consisting of 6 luxury cabins, each sleeping 2 passengers, which are en-suite with shower, basin and toilet. The cabins are large and airy with large sliding window doors as your boundary to the water. There are another 4 comfortable en-suite pontoon cabins on the lowest deck with port sized viewing windows. These cabins have a double bed and a small sitting area, which is convertible for additional bedding for young children. Shayamanzi 11 can accommodate up to 20 passengers.
• 6 crew
• 3 tender boats
• 12 seater Jacuzzi
The aft deck on each boat boasts a uniquely relaxing area, complete with Jacuzzi and bar service at the pull of a bell! The upper deck holds the lounge, bar and dining area as well as a fore and aft deck, ideal for relaxing and watching the world go by with a signature Shayamanzi cocktail in hand. The fully stocked galley and staff quarters are upfront which accommodate our crew for the duration of the cruise. The tender boats accompany the main houseboat and provide a perfect opportunity to move quietly and freely along the water’s edge viewing the game and bird life. They are also the playground of the fishing enthusiasts who endeavour to land the famous and often elusive tiger fish.
WHAT TO EXPECT
• A uniquely memorable experience enjoying the best of nature from the luxury of our houseboats while cruising across the 16 000 ha of open water.
• Excellent Game Viewing and Bird Watching especially in the early morning and late afternoon. You might be fortunate to see black or white rhino, elephant, giraffe, zebra, hippo, crocodile, warthog, buck, a variety of bird life or the fireflies when you are moored in the gorge at night.This is truly a Birders Paradise with over 400 species.
• Tiger fishing, in the river and gorge.
• A crew who will take care of your every need.
• The most delicious meals and snacks with bottomless tea and coffee served throughout the day.
• A festive bar and great music for all tastes.
• Weather dependent, an evening of drinks on the lakeside around a bonfire.
• A real South African braai (barbeque) on the aft deck under the starlit African skies.
• A jacuzzi, fantastic opportunities for photography, conferencing or relaxing!
• Diverse scenery and landscaping including; the Lebombo Mountains, Swaziland, the Pongola River.
• Historical richness - The Lebombo Mountains are home to Dingaan’s Grave and Border Cave; a
Middle Stone Age site.
• All of our cabins have fans and in the upper cabins there are extra length beds. The cabins on
Shayamanzi ll are all air-conditioned.
• Zululand experiences good weather all year round boasting a subtropical climate. It tends to become hot and humid in the peak summer months of October to February with temperatures averaging 35°C. A great time to visit is also from March to July when we experience what we term our “champagne weather”.… the days are warm yet dry with low humidity and no wind. Winters are very mild with a mininum of 10°C rising to a maximum of around 22°C.
• Idyllic Cruising Season – May to August (especially good for Game Viewing and Photography).
• Prime Tiger Fishing Season – September to April. Fishing is active in the river, main lake and gorge
WHERE TO BOARD
• Shayamanzi Houseboats are moored at Jozini Tiger Lodge. Plan to arrive late morning at the Jozini
Tiger Lodge and enjoy lunch on their pool deck overlooking the Jozini Gorge and the Houseboats.
• Jozini Tiger Lodge has ample secure parking space for vehicles and trailers.
• GPS Co-ordinates: S27 25.212/E32 03.897
• You will be welcomed on-board at 14h00, with a glass of sparkling wine or fruit juice and be invited upstairs to the main lounge where you will be introduced to your Crew and receive a safety briefing from your Captain. Enjoy the majesty of the Gorge and all the wonderful sights as we cruise to our overnight mooring.
• During the day of disembarkation you will cruise back to the mooring at Jozini Tiger Lodge and prepare to disembark around 10h00.
• The Captain will arrange your non-inclusive drinks invoice which is to be settled before you leave, with either cash or by credit card. This is also the ideal time to offer a gratuity to our Captain and his Crew should you wish to do so.
ESSENTIAL TO BRING ALONG !
• Sun screen, camera, swimming costume, hat, binoculars and a good book to read.