Shakati Private Game Reserve
Shakati Private Game Reserve is hidden away on the lush banks of the Mokolo river in the deep heart of the untamed Waterberg bushveld paradise. Waterberg is registered as an internationally protected UNESCO Biosphere Reserve. Shakati Private Game Reserve is located 20 km west of the town Vaalwater, only 3 hours drive from Johannesburg.
Time spent at Shakati Game Reserve is about getting away from city life, work, traffic and stress. It is about peace and tranquility, clean fresh air and clear skies. It is about being quiet and listen to the jackal calling at night, to the paradise flycatcher singing in the morning. It is about seeing and walking with the animals, touching the fruits of the bush willow -and wonder about nature.
Shakati offers a 625 ha private game reserve with a small luxurious safari lodge. The main complex has seperate guest lounge, dining area, large braai/barbeque area, swimming pool and a beautiful, lush garden. The lodge has 3 fully equipped self-catering chalets with own braai/barbeque facility. The lodge accommodates 12 people comfortably and 18 at maximum.
Shakati Game Reserve boasts:
- River frontage, rocks and ridges, spectacular views and large indigenous bush and savannah areas.
- Plenty of wildlife - Giraffe, Zebra, Kudu, Gemsbok, Hartebeest, Eland, Waterbok, Blesbok, Warthog, Impala, leopard, Jackal, Porcupine etc. Due to the absence of Elephant and Lion it is safe to walk around in the reserve. Elephant and Lion you can see in the close-by Marakele national park.
- Prolific bird life - one of the highest bird diversities in the Waterberg with 270 bird species on the list. Waterberg is internationally registered as Important Bird Area (IBA) and Shakai is listed as a Birder Friendly Establishment.
- Sleep at waterhole - The hide at the waterhole is equipped with benches and 2 beds. Overnight here and follow the night activity and sounds of the African bush
- Night safari - go with the manager on a night safari and spot the night active animals
- Hunting camp with hunting at neighbouring areas.
- Cell phone signal throughout the reserve.
- Internet cafe in nearby Vaalwater town.
Accommodation at Shakati Private Game Reserve:
Three chalets: 2 bedrooms (twin plus double beds), lounge with 2 couches, kitchen with fridge/freezer etc, bathroom and outdoor romantic shower, private braai/barbeque area. Sleeps maximum 6 per chalet.
Self-catering or catering: Catering on request.
Game drives/walks: Go on game drives and game walks with the reserve manager.
Discounts: The entire complex (maximum 18 persons) can be rented at a discounted rate. Enquire for 3 to 4 day midweek specials.
Malaria-free: Waterberg and Shakati is malaria-free area