Deep within the three thousand hectare Karkloof Nature Reserve lies Rockwood Lodges. Four completely private, self catering lodges complement the beautiful surroundings - two are situated within the private nature reserve and two on adjoining farmland. You therefore have the option of immersing yourself completely and getting away from everything, or having the best of both worlds by choosing a lodge which is central enough to the Midlands Meander Route whilst still being far enough off the beaten track. The Karkloof Nature Reserves is a joint venture between private landowners and KZN Wildlife. The Reserve is split about 60/40 between Afromontane forest and mist-belt grasslands and ranges from an altitude of 1000m to 1767m. As a guest of Rockwood you have full access to the reserve and its facilities.
Each of the two lodges in the Reserve has three bedrooms and two or three bathrooms for 6 to 8 guests (one king-size and 4-6 single beds), fully equipped kitchen with fridge/freezer, microwave (Rockwood Forest Lodge only) and cutlery and crockery for 6 - 8 people. Rockwood Farm Cottage has two bedrooms and two bathrooms for up to 4 guests. It has a fully equipped kitchen with fridge / freezer, microwave and cutlery and crockery for 6 people. Rockwood Farm House has 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 1 guest toilet, a fully equipped self catering kitchen with fridge/ freezer, microwave and cutlery for 8 - 10 people. All rooms have heaters, tea and coffee making facilities, insect repellent, soap, shampoo and linen. For your listening pleasure, all lodges have iPod docking stations.
Rockwood Forest Lodge
The lodge is electrified and has a large sundeck overlooking a stream and is constructed of Oregon Pine and Yellowwood. The house is well appointed and decorated. This lodge is ideal for you if you are looking to escape the City life and technology as there is only limited cell phone range outside of the forest. To make sure you don't miss out on anything too important, this lodge has DSTV (selected channels) and for your kids, there is a Blu Ray DVD player with selected titles available. There are a few hiking trails departing from this lodge and range in difficulty. There is a circular mountain biking trail crossing this lodge. Too energetic? Then, rather just doze off in front of a roaring fire.
Rockwood Mountain Lodge
The lodge is eco-friendly in that it makes use of gas and solar power. The lodge is tastefully decorated and where possible, artwork from the local community has been utilised. If you have children wishing to run wild in big open spaces, this lodge is for you. There are some good walks in this area of the reserve and some are also suitable for mountain biking. Do as much or as little as you please from the seclusion of this beautiful cabin.
Rockwood Farm Cottage
The lodge is the perfect stay over if you want to explore the Midlands Meander Route or want a central getaway that's still far enough from the town of Howick. It's unique in look and feel and a number of private hiking and mountain biking trails pass this lodge. Access to the dam and other facilities in the reserve are all within hiking or driving (4x4) distance from this quaint Cottage. This lodge also has DSTV (selected channels available) as well as a Blu Ray DVD player with selected titles.
Rockwood Farm House
Ideally situated to offer a family holiday par excellence! Large and spacious both inside and out, this lodge is still cosy and warm with two fireplaces and luxurious soft furnishings.More than sufficient space both inside and outside so that you don't step on your Mother-in-Law's toes too much, but made cosy with two fireplaces and soft furnishings. The lodge is only 25m away from Rockwood Farm Cottage and also offers a number of activities, including tubing on your own private dam. This lodge also has two fireplaces and with a ping pong table and loads of books to read, so never a dull moment here! If all else fails, plonk the kids down in front of the DSTV (selected channels available on two TV's) or choose from some Blu Ray DVD's in the lodge.
All accommodation is served on a daily basis.
- Guided Mountain Biking Tours: The Karkloof is excellent MTB country. Feel free to explore the marked trails and plantation roads in and around the reserve, or we can arrange guided tours of the Karkloof with the designer and builder of the trails for the Karkloof Classic Race, Hylton Turvey.
- Karkloof Canopy Tour: The Karkloof Canopy Tour commences on the doorstep of Rockwood Mountain Lodge. How do you fancy swinging from a cable 50m above the forest floor while racing towards a cliff? Don't forget to look out for crowned eagles and the rare cape parrot on the way down. Exclusive 15% discount available only to guests of Rockwood Lodges.
- Hiking: There are marked trails within the reserve. With a bit of climbing and rock-hopping you can explore 6 waterfalls. Bring along good hiking gear to make the most of these trails.
- Birding: The area has several rare and endemic species of birds and is listed in the Roberts CD. Birding on the forest fringes and streams can offer some excellent rewards to birders. Some of the more elusive species found are the Cape Parrot, Narina Trogon, Crested Guinea Fowl (sub-species) and the Crowned Eagle.
- Fishing: There are several weirs and dams within and adjacent to the reserve which are well stocked with rainbow or brown trout. Bring your own rods.
- Children's Play Area: Delight in the joy of kids being kids on the Trampoline and Jungle Gym a short walk/drive from all the lodges.
If this is all a bit too strenuous for you, just sit back and watch the Bushbuck grazing the clearings or let the curious Samango Monkey surround you while you enjoy your sundowners on the deck.
Rockwood Forest Lodge and Rockwood Mountain Lodge accessible only by 4x4 vehicle.
- Awards & Accreditations As Claimed By The Establishment
- AA Travel Guide Category Finalist 2010
- AA Travel Guide Category Semi-Finalist 2008
- AA Travel Guide Category Semi-Finalist 2009
- Tourism Grading - 4 Stars
- airport transfers
- braai / barbecue - onsite
- canoeing (less than 5km)
- DSTV in room
- fishing onsite
- kitchen (fully equipped)
- laundry facilities onsite
- microwave in unit
- nature trail (less than 2km)
- nature trail onsite
- outdoor pool
- parking all onsite
- private entrance
- radio in room
- remote security
- tea / coffee making facilities
- wi-fi / hotspot