Discover and enjoy the beauty and tranquillity of the Eastern Free State Mountains, close to the Lesotho border.
Mont Plaisir, with a 360' view over the surrounding mountains, is a stately working farm with cattle, grain and asparagus, that offers luxurious self-catering accommodation. The Old Main House is a beautiful colonial style sandstone manor. The accommodation, except the Field Cottage, is set in a beautiful garden with lots of old trees, lawns and there are spectacular views. In the garden is a lapa with hammock, where you can enjoy the beauty of the sunset or gaze at the stars at night.
The Field Cottage is situated in a field of the farm with spectacular views and lots of pure nature to enjoy.
Mont Plaisir is a perfect halfway stop, in a safe and tranquil surrounding, between the Cape and KwaZulu-Natal.
The Farm House:
This is a large charming and beautifully restored self catering farm house, partly built from sandstone. It has a spacious lounge with fireplace and a comfortable large fully equipped kitchen. There are three bedrooms and two bathrooms. All bedrooms have king-size beds and in two of them the beds can be split in two single beds. The beds have electric blankets.
It will accommodate six persons, based on two persons per room, we can put in additional beds for children when required. It is beautifully located under large old trees in the garden. This unit is perfect for a larger family or for a group of friends who enjoy comfort and country charm.
The Field Cottage:
This is a very nice self catering unit and in our opinion our nicest unit. It is build from sandstone and thatch and will offer you full privacy and luxurious comfort. It is situated on a slope overlooking the valley and the mountains and you will see lots of birds and wild live. It has a spacious beautifully furnished lounge with fireplace. It has one bedroom with a queen-size bed and an en-suite bathroom (shower). In the lounge is a double sleeper couch. It has a comfortable fully equipped kitchen. There is a beautiful thatched veranda from which you can enjoy the sunset over the mountains. The beds have electric blankets. This unit is perfect for those who want to enjoy privacy and be in the middle of nature, but also can appreciate some extra luxury.
This is a nice romantic self catering unit, built from sandstone and thatch. It has one bedroom with a queen-size bed and an en-suite bathroom (shower). In the lounge is a double sleeper couch. There is a small but well equipped kitchen and in the lounge is a nice fire place. In the bedroom are a panel heater and an electric blanket on the bed. In the lounge is an extra panel heater. It is beautifully located under large old trees in the garden. This unit is perfect for a couple or for a couple with one or two children.
This is a nice self catering unit. Set with the front to the west, it offers from the veranda a fully un-obstructed view and the most stunning sunsets over the White Mountains. It has one bedroom with a Queen-size bed and a three-quarter bed and an en-suite bathroom (shower and bath). It has a comfortable fully equipped kitchen and a nice lounge opening to the veranda. In the lounge is a double sleeper couch. This unit is very suitable for a family with some children.
The beds have electric blankets and in the lounge are a nice fire place and a panel heater.
The room in the Old Main House:
In this historic sand stone mansion is a beautifully appointed bedroom with a queen-size bed and with a large en-suite bathroom with bath and shower. The room is situated at a beautiful stoep with built-in braai and has its own entrance. In the room are coffee and tea facilities.
The bed has electric blankets. The stoep, the braai and a fridge are at your disposal. It is very suitable for a couple who prefer to dine out or just want to prepare a casual supper on the braai.
Things to do on the farm or in the area:
- Horse riding: We provide hourly rides at the farm and lead rides for kids. All our rides are on the farm.
- On the farm is a walking trail and a fun 4x4 trail and mountain bikes are also available.
- We offer day tours (4x4) in the area and into Lesotho and we specialize in overnight tours into Lesotho.
- Close by there is hiking, 4x4 trails, rock art, fishing, white water rafting, lion reserves.
- We offer tours around the farm and during the asparagus season, September till December, we offer asparagus tours and you can cut your own asparagus for your supper.
- During winter we are the gateway for your snow fun at the Afri-ski resort just over the border in Lesotho.
Please Note: No personal electrical appliances may be used in the units (except for cellphone chargers)
- braai / barbecue - onsite
- exercise facilities (less than 5km)
- game drives (less than 30km)
- horse riding onsite
- internet facilities
- kitchen (fully equipped)
- lake (less than 5km)
- medical facilities (less than 5km)
- microwave in unit
- nature trail (less than 2km)
- nature trail onsite
- parking all onsite
- pets allowed by prior arrangement
- private entrance
- radio in room
- restaurant (less than 5km)
- rock art (less than 20km)
- tea / coffee making facilities
- Payment Methods
- Sorry, Credit cards not accepted
- Bed Configuration
- The Chalet (Sleeps 4) x 1
- Room 1 - queen, three quarter, single sleeper couch
- The Farm House (Sleeps 6) x 1
- Room 1 - king
- Room 2 - king
- Room 3 - king
- The Field Cottage (Sleeps 4) x 1
- Room 1 - queen, double sleeper couch
- The Rondavel (Sleeps 4) x 1
- Room 1 - queen, double sleeper couch
- The Room in the Old Main House (Sleeps 2) x 1
- Room 1 - queen