Maltahöhe was established in 1899 by Henning von Burgsdorff, previously an officer in the German Schutztruppe, the military force of the Imperial German occupation. Burgsdorff named the place after his wife Malta, - "höhe" refers to hill. Maltahöhe is situated in the central to southern part of Namibia close to the Swartrand escarpment. The town has a few small shops, two filling stations and a hotel - The Maltahöhe Hotel was established in 1907 which makes it the oldest country hotel in Namibia still partly operating in the original buildings.
In earlier years Maltahöhe use to be the midpoint of the karakul sheep farming industry, but this branch of agriculture has shrunken due to lasting drought cycles and embargoes against the karakul fur/pelt trade. Maltahöhe is surrounded by vast portions of farm land that stretch all the way down into the Namib Desert and all along the protected areas of the Naukluft Park.
Sheep and goat farming remain the commercial hub of the south.
The +/- 6,000 inhabitants of the village mainly live in two suburbs, Andreville location and "Blikkiesdorp" (Afrikaans language) or “Tin Town”. Unemployment is high with only a small percentage of residents in possession of a job. The hotel together with a few remaining businesses work among the communities to uplift and create employment through Tourism.
Visitors to Maltahöhe Hotel are always amazed to see a large collection of images and relics from a bygone era. The hotel is especially renowned for its warm hospitality, excellent food and cozy bar adorned by hundreds of memorabilia from across the world. Maltahöhe is a gateway to places and attractions such as Sesriem, Sossuvlei, Naukluft Park, Duwisib Castle, Luderitz and the Fish River Canyon.
- 22 en-suite rooms with 2 single beds (twins)
- 2 Single rooms
- Families with children are welcome and can be accommodated in a family unit or adjacent rooms
Facilities and Services:
- Secure parking
- 11 rooms are air conditioned & 13 rooms have water coolers
- Mosquito Nets
- Free WiFi access in main area and Bar
- Guests with special dietary requirements can be catered for on request
- Beer Garden and Swimming Pool
- Area orientated tourist information
- Early morning coffee & tea service
- Traditional Nama dances and singing
- Arts and Crafts center in town
- Historical Grave yard of German Schutztruppe soldiers
- Curio Shop
- Game drive on Burgsdorff farm (Self-drive activity) see Cheetah, Rhino and other species.
- air conditioner (some units)
- laundry facilities onsite
- outdoor pool
- parking all onsite
- restaurant onsite
Location: GPS Coordinates: Lat -24.845457 Lng 16.97962
- Maltahöhe is 110 km west of Mariental
- 372 kilometers from Windhoek
- 451 kilometers from Walvisbay