Lions River Country Cottages
If your heart yearns for a tranquil blend of seclusion and luxury then Lions River Country Cottages, award winning accommodation, is your perfect escape into the solitude of the countryside.
Tucked alongside the banks of the Lions River, the cottages lie amongst rolling hills that offer lovers, weary travelers or holiday individuals a serene stay in one of the most picturesque areas of the Midlands.
Each cottage is very spacious and being free standing and far apart therefore offering peace, quiet and total privacy.
All the cottages are serviced, self-catering units, with all bedding, linen, bath towels, kitchen utensils, crockery, cutlery and glassware supplied. The cottages each have a spacious and comfortable lounge area with open Jetmaster fireplace, a dining table, a fully equipped open plan kitchen with electric stove, microwave oven, a fridge (with separate freezer compartment) and a dish washer.
Each cottage is equipped with a Sony stereo TV and DVD player, and are now, all connected to DStv's Commercial package which basically consists of M-Net, 6 Movie and 7 Sports channels as well as SABC 1, 2, 3 & "e".
The cottages have large comfortable bedrooms, with queen size beds and the larger cottages also have two single beds in the second bedroom. Each bedroom has an en-suite bathroom, complete with bath and shower, and for your comfort during those crisp winter mornings, under-floor heating.
The large covered patios, each equipped with a Weber braai, make them the perfect setting for an outdoor meal and sundowners, combining with a panoramic views of the Midlands.
" We have private Lions River frontage. Try your hand at fishing or simply enjoy a stroll along the river banks.
We have a small dam which is stocked with bass, so bring a rod along and try your luck!
We are centrally located to most of the Midlands Meander attractions and activities you may want to indulge in such as shopping, golf, horse-riding and mountain-bike riding.
We are just over an hour's drive from Durban and about four hours from Johannesburg and being in the heart of the Meander there are a large number of excellent local restaurants, all within easy reach. The Midlands Meander is home to many of South Africa's most talented artists, and a tantalizing array of arts and crafts are a few tempting kilometres away. A ten minutes drive will take you into the town of Howick which has an excellent variety of bars and restaurants, several shopping centres, all the major banks, a Post Office, doctors, a hospital, as well as several places of worship. Close too, is the Midmar Dam with its exciting aquatic diversities.
We regret, no pets are allowed and we have a "No Smoking" policy within our cottages.
We accept credit card payments via PayBridge.
- braai / barbecue - onsite
- dam onsite
- DStv in room (bring card)
- fishing onsite
- golf (less than 5km)
- horse riding (less than 10km)
- internet facilities
- kitchen (fully equipped)
- lake (less than 10km)
- laundry facilities onsite
- medical facilities (less than 10km)
- microwave in unit
- parking all onsite
- private entrance
- restaurants (less than 10km)
- tea / coffee making facilities
- washing machine onsite
- Awards & Accreditations As Claimed By The Establishment
- AA Highly Recommended
- AA Travel Guide Category Finalist 2008
01. Proceed along the N3, direction Johannesburg.
02. Pass Pietermaritzburg, Hilton & Howick.
03. Filter off the N3, at EXIT #114 – "Curry's Post/Lions River".
04. At T-junction, turn LEFT, onto the D369 – "Lions River"
05. Goto instruction #10.
06. Proceed along the N3, direction Durban.
07. Pass Estcourt, Mooi River & Balgowan.
08. Filter off the N3, at EXIT #114 – "Curry's Post/Lions River".
09. At T-junction, turn RIGHT, onto the D369 – "Lions River".
10. Pass Lions River Trading Post on right – 1.5kms from 4 or 9.
11. Just passed Lions River Trading Post, turn RIGHT, onto D768.
12. Immediately after passing over small bridge, turn LEFT, to #17.
13. Ignore/pass small house on left.
14. Keep going "straight" - just after passing over the stream, ignore track going to the left to #16 – up the hill, to Lions River Country Cottages.
Alternative route from the R103:
On the R103, opposite the Lions River railway station, turn onto the D369 and at 3.7kms turn LEFT onto the D768 and goto instruction #12.