Situated on the sea front in Vermont, 10 minutes walk to Onrus Beach, 200 meters from the tidal pool.
This tastefully decorated Holiday Cottage - sleeping up to 8 people, with a separate flat sleeping up to 3 people with beautiful sea views, is situated on the beach front, in a quiet cul-de-sac, only 10 minutes away from the resort town Hermanus!
Walk out the front door, onto the magnificent seaside cliff path with its panoramic views of both the ocean and the surrounding mountains. Enjoy the best land-based whale watching in the world! In season guests regularly see whales while enjoying breakfast on the front patio!
Onrus is well known as a mecca for famous artists and authors who can be ascribed to the tranquillity, natural beauty and peaceful pace at which one lives here. Ringed by green mountains, the Cape Floristic Kingdom and the sea, this is an idyllic place in which to unwind Cape Town is just over an hour's drive. Ideal for daytrips to the Stellenbosch wine lands.
Explore the Overberg and Western Cape from this base and discover all its secrets!
Remember... The best things in life are: the people we love, the places we've seen and the memories we've made along the way!
Happy Holidays and Enjoy your stay at Lavender Beach.
About your accommodation:
You can either rent the Cottage or the Flat or both together as one unit (max 11 people)
The Cottage: (sleeps 2 to 8 people)
3 bedrooms in Cottage - All rooms have a sea view!
- The main bedroom is downstairs - double bed
- 2nd bedroom is a loft-style bedroom upstairs with 1 double bed and 1 single bed.
- 3rd loft bedroom upstairs - 2 three-quarter beds and 1 single bed offering gorgeous sea views.
- 3 separate bathrooms - one with a bath (downstairs) and 2 with a showers (1 upstairs and 1 downstairs)
- All bedding and bath towels provided
- Open-plan lounge/dining room/kitchen area.
- Sea-facing patio with wooden table, 6 chairs, umbrella to use.
- Living area is comfortably furnished
- Full DSTV (no need to bring your own card), DVD Player, Radio/CD player.
- The dining room table sits 6-8 guests. Lovely sea views.
- Fully equipped kitchen includes cutlery & crockery for 8 persons, fridge/freezer, microwave oven, electric stove and under counter oven, dishwasher.
- Laundry with washing machine and tumble dryer, ironing facilities and a vacuum cleaner.
- Built-in Braai Area - outside in the garden, between the house and flat - with lovely mountain views.
The Flat: (sleeps 1 to 3)
- Open-plan loft room with king-size bed, single bed and beautiful sea views
- En- suite bathroom with bath, basin and toilet
- Mini kitchenette with fridge/freezer, microwave oven, slow-cooker, toaster, kettle and electric frying pan; cutlery and crockery for 4 people
- Small dining room table and 2 chairs
- TV- SABC 1,2,3 / DVD player
- Lovely rear garden with patio, garden furniture and Weber Braai
We meet and greet on arrival.
NO NOISE AFTER 10 AT NIGHT!!! PLEASE CONSIDER OUR PERMANENT NEIGHBOURS ALL AROUND.
There is a security alarm and 24 hours response.
Off-street parking available
We regret no smoking indoors please.
Airport transfers by arrangement - Percy Tours- Excellent for tours and shuttle service - Cape Town Airport transfers to - or - from Hermanus.
Something about the area:
Onrusriver is a real gem - a coastal village with, magical unspoilt surroundings, and warm and interesting people. Only 10 minutes away from the busy holiday town Hermanus. Onrus is well known as a mecca for famous artists and authors who can be ascribed to the tranquillity, beauty and peaceful pace at which one lives here.
Against the backdrop of the Onrust Mountain the land stretches down towards the Onrusriver lagoon and ocean. Here you can take easy flat walks along the coast line, passing tidal pools, benches here & there where one can ponder on memories or watch the Southern Right whales that come to visit us annually from June to October, to breed and calf in Walker bay.
Onrus Village nestles between the sandy swimming beach, the mountain and the lagoon. Onrus beach is a very popular beach and surf spot. Relax on the lovely sandy beach or swim in the lagoon or clear waters of the tidal pool. Onrus is a cool green haven with all the necessary shops, great restaurants, pubs, art galleries, and the wine producing Hemel & Aarde Valley.
Vermont - means "Green Mountain" named after the American state with the same name. Vermont borders onto Onrus on the Western side. A suburb which was well planned, mainly built up by now, bordering "green Belts" to maintain the tranquillity, fynbos and birdlife.
Activities & Things to Do:
- Hermanus offers the best land- /boat-based whale watching. July to December, but best viewing is between August and November.
- Fishing & Diving - right in front of the house is an excellent spot for crayfish!! And a slipway to launch a small boat or canoe.
- Birdwatcher's paradise - situated between mountain and sea - it is home to a wide variety of bird species.
- Golf: Arabella, Hermanus & Kleinmond (15 min).
- Cycling - hire one or bring your bicycle!!
- Arts and craft Studio's and galleries to visit.
- Explore a scenic wine route through the Hemel-en-Aarde valley, wine tasting on wine estates. 10 min drive away.
- Boat trips (deep sea fishing/whale watching/harbour tours).
Family Friendly Fun
- Swim at the sandy Onrus beach, with safe lagoon swimming for children, 20 minutes' walk or a short 5 minute drive away, or take a dip in the lovely tidal pool 200m away..
- Wonderland Café @Super Plants area and includes a play area, restaurant, pet shop and nursery.
- Zero Gravity for gamers and offers you the chance to test out new games or compete with each other in their rec room.
- Grotto Beach Playpark is located at Grotto Beach, one of three Blue Flag beaches in the area. There are also several benches, plenty of parking and a play area for children.
- WALKS & HIKES - Enjoying the great outdoors is a always a fun (and free) way to explore Hermanus
- The Cliff Path winds its way along the cliffs of Hermanus from New Harbour all the way to Grotto Beach. The path is wheelchair friendly and offers uninterrupted views of the ocean â€“ perfect for land based whale watching in season!
- Fernkloof Nature Reserve - a must" for anyone visiting Hermanus who likes mountain walks and is interested in the amazing wild flowers of the Cape Floral Kingdom. The wild flower show in September should not be missed by anyone in Hermanus at that time of year - ideal for all ages, fitness levels and also caters to the disabled (with well kept, wheelchair-friendly pathways)
- Caledon wild flower Reserve - Mountain walks & hikes
- Harold Porter Betty's Bay, a popular attraction for Flora lovers. 20min.
- Heart of Abalone - @New Harbour, Hermanus - Sit back and relax in our Heart Shed while you learn more about SA abalone, its biology, life cycle, history in the wild and the farming industry. After your informative Abalone tour, boot-up for a guided walk to experience the aquaculture industry of abalone farming first hand on one the oldest and largest abalone farms in South Africa, Abagold.
- Go Bike - explore cycling in Hermanus. Explore Hermanus and its surrounds by renting either an electric bike, mountain bike, city bike or fat bike (for beach outings). You can easily rent a bike for a half day, or full day to explore at your own pace or join us on a planned outing to taste some wines in the valley; or let us take you onto the single mountainous tracks for a ride on the road less travelled.
- African Queen Cruises - Sunset cruise on the Stanford River 20 km away The African Queen offers cruises on the river. Accommodate up to 32 persons. (min 10 pax required per trip) There are toilet & braai facilities on board. Catering available by arrangement. Bookings essential.
Onrus Craft Market - runs on the first Saturday morning of each month at the De Wet Hall in Roos Street. With its fun, eclectic mix of old-school stalls and activities it offers a great way to fill up on bargains and catch up with the locals.
Food and Wine Market at the Hermanuspietersfontein Wine Cellar, Every Saturday 9h00 - 13h00: A food and wine market - a place where families go to buy produce, meet friends and generally rub shoulders with members of the local community.
Hermanus Country Market - every Saturday. Very nice cozy market with great locally produced goods. Very nice entertainment for the kids and a lot of choice for something to eat as breakfast or lunch. Good way to spend a couple of hours on a Saturday.
The Salandra Country Market is one of the newest markets in Hermanus - great foods and wines as well as music and entertainment for children. You can find this lovely market along the R43 towards Arabella Hotel & Spa, close to the Shell Service Station.
Favourite Restaurants and Bars:
- Onrus and Hermanus offer some of the finest cuisine the Cape has to offer with something to suite everyone's taste.
- Moltenos - Onrus' best-kept culinary secret. Tasty food, friendly staff and great value for money, you will always find this little gem packed and buzzing with both locals and visitors alike.
- The Milkwood Restaurant - situated on Onrus beach, offering diners beautiful sea views. Seafood is their speciality, breakfast, lunch and supper.
- Tipples BAR & GRILL - in Onrus , perfect sports-viewing experience. Child-friendly establishment and our playground with our custom-made jungle-gym enthralls children of all ages.
- Rossi's - in Hermanus - Italian Restaurant, Pizza, Pasta Steak and Fish (10min drive).
- Creation Wines - Outstanding food & wine pairing
- Pear Tree Restaurant - Seafood, Mediterranean, European - Nice location on the oceanfront and good food.
- Bientang's Cave
- Cuckoo Tree in Hermanus - lunch or tea. Cosy intimate restaurant serving up simple and delicious meals.
- Moggs Country Cookhouse Set in the heart of the beautiful Hemel 'n Aarde valley - "A lovely country atmosphere"
- Marianas at Owls Barn - Stanford. One of the most treasured country restaurants. A must for food lovers! Book well in advance - no children under the age of 10.
- Betty Blue Bistro
- Quayside Cabin - the finest seafood in the most unique setting. Lower slipway New Harbour (10min drive).
- Gabrielskloof restaurant: Botrivier - hearty, honest, soul food prepared with love by the owners. Drive out to experience life in the slow lane.
There are various places around Hermanus that can be explored, as well as further afield.
- See the charming villages of Genadendal and Greyton, (35 min drive).
- Take a drive to the picturesque fishing village of Gansbaai.
- Visit wine estates in the Hemel and Aarde Valley nearby, or explore the many wine routes in the Overberg, Cape Winelands area.
- The Penguins at Stony Point -Betty's Bay 45 minute drive away. Known as the home of the African (Jackass) penguins, Betty's Bay is one of only two breeding grounds for these cute, flightless birds in South Africa.
- Kleinriver Cheese Factory near Stanford, 20 minute drive away. A small family run cheesery that offers a range of exceptional and award winning South African cheeses. A farmshop filled with all things cheesy as well as a play area, a petting farm, jungle gym and open lawns.
- Birkenhead Brewery near Stanford - delicious and recognized brews, including lagers, ales and ciders. -brewery tours, restaurant and pub. Enjoy some delicious food and freshly brewed beer, visit the surrounding vineyards or take in the views of the mountains from the garden.
- The Two Oceans Aquarium is situated at the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town (around a 90 minute drive from Hermanus) and houses many different types of marine life; from starfish to ragged tooth sharks. Itâ€™s the perfect location for a beautiful day trip as it's close to other restaurants, play areas and the Waterfront itself.
- Shark cage diving - Kleinbaai. There are several shark diving tours that offer shark cage diving for the brave and surface viewing for the not so brave. Shark diving shuttles leave Hermanus on a daily basis.
- airport transfers
- beach (absolutely on the beach)
- boat / marine slipway onsite
- car hire (less than 20km)
- fishing onsite
- horse riding (less than 5km)
- laundry facilities onsite
- medical facilities (less than 5km)
- parking all onsite
- tea / coffee making facilities
- tumble dryer in unit
- washing machine in unit
then R43 to Hermanus;
turn right at Onrus / Vermont turn-off - at Onrus Trading Post.
urn into Vermont avenue;
go strait down towards the sea until you reach a T-junction;
turn right into Marine Drive;
Lavender Beach is the third house from the corner no 46.