Kurisa Moya Nature Lodge
Kurisa Moya is only 3 to 4 hours from Johannesburg, but the privacy and tranquillity offered at this Nature Lodge will truly restore your spirit.
Kurisa Moya Nature Lodge is a 422 hectare property near Polokwane. Kurisa Moya has mountains, rivers, indigenous forests and bushveld and offers accommodation in 3 unique venues - each private and tranquil. Activities include 7 marked walking paths, hiking trails, guided birding walks with South Africa's top local Bird Guide, 4x4 sunset drives, cranio-sacral therapy, real village tours and fly-fishing.
You could book a Forest Lodge cabin, 3 metres up in the canopy of the indigenous forest, surrounded by magnificent trees, animals and birds. Alternatively, soak up the views at the earthy Thora Boloka Cottage, on the mountain's edge overlooking Kudu's River Valley. Otherwise, the Farmhouse is perfect for family get-togethers or fun weekends away with a group of friends. It has 5 en-suite bedrooms, huge kitchen, lounge and dining-room, a wrap-around patio and private gardens. Each venue is kitted-out for self catering or meals can be provided for you. Activities, tours and transfers can be organised.
Whichever venue you choose, you can be sure of privacy, tranquility and the sense of having your soul restored. There is something powerfully restorative in being surrounded by ancient trees in an untouched forest and by being all alone in this tranquil place. Silence, peace and beauty all combine to restore the soul. There are very few places these days where you can drive for a few hours, stay for a weekend and return to real life with a feeling that your spirit is full to the brim and that the world is a magical place.
- The Farmhouse: Private, tranquil venue. 5 en-suite bedrooms, (5 showers) (1 bath), Large lounge, dining room and kitchen. Great for a big family group or a party of friends. Kids under 12 stay for half price. Patio all around the house, private garden. 5 fireplaces, 2 barbecues. Electricity free - solar lights, gas stove, fridge, freezer and geezer. Fully kitted-out for self catering but catering available on request. Tea and coffee provided. Fully serviced.
- The Forest Lodge Cabins: 3 metres up in the indigenous forest. Private, tranquil venue. Double bed, 2 single beds in the loft. Perfect for a couple. Kids in the loft room stay for half price. En-suite bathroom with shower, fully-equipped kitchenette. 2 barbecues, fireplace. Electricity free - solar lights, gas stove, fridge, freezer and geezer. Fully kitted-out for self catering but catering available on request. Tea and coffee provided. Fully serviced.
- Thora Boloka Stone Cottage: Spectacular views down into the Kudu's River Valley. Private, tranquil venue. Double bed downstairs, 4 single beds in the loft. Perfect for a couple or a family. Kids in the loft room stay for half price. En-suite bathroom with shower, outdoor shower. Fully-equipped kitchenette. 2 barbecues, fireplace. Electricity free - solar lights, gas stove, fridge, freezer and geezer. Fully kitted-out for self catering but catering available on request. Tea and coffee provided. Fully serviced.
Activities On Kurisa Moya
- Birdlife SA's Top Local Bird Guide - guided birding outings
- 7 marked walking trails
- Sunset 4x4 drive
- Cranio-sacral therapy
- Fly-fishing lessons
- Village tours and home-stays
Activities In The Area
- Canopy Tour
- Horse riding
- Tea Estates
- Hiking Trails
- Adventure Sports
- Modjadji Cycad Forest
- Horse-back Safaris in nature reserve
- Microlight flights
- Organic cheese farm
- Hot rock aromatherapy massages
- Township cultural tours
- Restaurants and Pubs in the area
- Living Sotho Museum
- Mountain Bike Trails
- Craft Brewery
- braai / barbecue - onsite
- electronic safe
- fishing onsite
- horse riding (less than 5km)
- kitchen (fully equipped)
- lake (less than 5km)
- lock-up safe
- nature trail (less than 2km)
- nature trail onsite
- parking all onsite
- pets allowed by prior arrangement
- tea / coffee making facilities
- The farm, situated in the Houtbosdorp Mountains, is four hours' travel from Johannesburg and 30 minutes (on a tar road) from the city of Pietersburg / Polokwane. It is central to the tourist area of Magoebaskloof and Haenertsburg which offer hikes, mountain drives, tea plantations, interesting cultural sites with African crafts as well as many excellent restaurants and pubs.
- Kurisa Moya is only a two hour drive from the Kruger National Park as well as other game lodges. Tours can be organised on request. Pietersburg / Polokwane City has an airport as well as many fine shops and excellent medical facilities. Rental cars are also available.
- Access to the farm is by tar road from Pietersburg / Polokwane but the farm roads are sand. The farmhouse is accessible by an ordinary sedan vehicle but the farm's other road network consists of 4x4 tracks.
- Follow the N1 from Johannesburg to Pretoria. Stay on the N1 and follow the signs to Pietersburg / Polokwane. Just before Pietersburg / Polokwane take the Tzaneen R71 off-ramp.
- Go through a traffic light and a 4 way stop and at the next traffic light turn right to the R71 to TZANEEN / THE UNIVERSITY OF THE NORTH / LIMPOPO. About 19.5km out of Pietersburg / Polokwane, turn left to the University of the North / Limpopo, at the Kurisa Moya sign. (There is also a big yellow Thobela Hardware sign)
- Follow this road for about another 26km until it becomes a sand or dirt road. (You will pass the University of the North and Mankwen Town and Hospital) Watch out for goats and cows on this stretch of road. 500m after it has become sand, look out on the left for Kurisa Moya's sign. Turn right, pass through the gate and follow the signs to the farmhouse or the Forest Lodge. (The reception can be found just below the farmhouse)
Directions to Kurisa Moya from Tzaneen / Magoebaskloof
To get to Kurisa Moya from Tzaneen, there are two options - the first is shorter but HAS about 20kms of dirt road. The second option is about 40kms longer but is tar all the way. We use the dirt road as it is usually in good condition.
First option (partly dirt road)
- Head up the Magoebaskloof pass.
- At the top of the pass, at the Kurisa Moya sign, turn right to Houtbosdorp (there are also Safcol-Eco Tourism and Village Green signs) And then follow the Kurisa Moya sign boards.
- Travel about 2.3kms on the J road. Keep to the left at the junction (don't go straight to the Safcol trail).
- Travel for about 4.9kms. Turn right onto the O road.
- Don't go to the right towards Dap Naude and Grey Mists, keep going straight.
- After about 1km, the road becomes tar. Follow the tar road for about 9.2kms. Don't turn off this road - continue past the Dap Naude/ Veekraal turnings.
- You will reach a T-junction at the bottom of the mountain.
- Turn right here to Houtbosdorp.
- After about 4kms, the tar road eventually becomes a dirt road.
- After 500 metres of dirt road, you will see a Kurisa Moya sign.
- Turn right here, continue through the gate and follow the signs to the Farmhouse. We are just below the farmhouse and will come back to the Forest Lodge cabin to help you with luggage and settle you in.
Second (longer) option on tar roads:
- Go up the Magoebaskloof pass and continue straight on the R71 towards Haenertsburg.
- Travel on this road towards Polokwane / Pietersburg for about 25 to 30kms.
- Turn RIGHT to the UNIVERSITY OF THE NORTH / LIMPOPO.
- Follow this road for 26kms. The tar road eventually becomes a dirt road.
- The gate to Kurisa Moya is 500 metres after you get onto the dirt road.
- The sign on the roadside indicates where to turn in.
- Turn right, continue through the gate and follow the signs to the Farmhouse.
Directions to Kurisa Moya from Louis Trichard / Makhado
The first route includes a 30km stretch of dirt. If you want to avoid the dirt road, use the second set of directions.
Option One (shortest but includes 30km of dirt road)
- From Makhado / Louis Trichard get on to the N1 and travel towards Pietersburg/Polokwane.
- After about 35 to 40km turn left to Soekmekaar, turn off the N1 just before the Tolgate. This is the R36 road.
- After about 21km, turn left into Soekmekaar (the sign may say Mooketsi).
- Continue through Soekmekaar, don't blink or you will miss it, to Mooketsi.
- At the 'T'junction, turn left towards Duiwelskloof.
- After about 1km to 2km, there is a dirt road to the right signposted Houtbosdorp. Turn here and travel on the dirt road for about 25km to 30km (The dirt road is being resurfaced at the moment).
- You will see our sign and turn left on to the farm. Then follow the signs to the farmhouse.
Option two (longer but no dirt)
- From Makhado / Louis Trichard, get onto the N1 and travel towards Pietersburg/Polokwane. After about 35 to 40km, turn left to Soekmekaar.
- Turn off the N1 just before the Tollgate. This is the R36 road.
- After about 21 km, don't turn to Soekmekaar but continue straight until you reach a 'T' junction, about 25km further.
- On a map this is called Munnik, but there is no town or anything there.
- Turn right (towards Polokwane / Pietersburg).
- After about 30km, turn left to Turfloop / Mangkweng.
- Follow this road to a 'T' junction after about 20km.
- You will now be in Mankweng, a settlement around the University of the North / Limpopo.
- Turn Left and go past the University on the right, continue straight on with this road for about 25km till it becomes a dirt road.
- After 500m, turn right onto Kurisa Moya and follow the signs to the farmhouse.