Gum Tree Lodge
Built originally as the Bultfontein Convict Station and later converted to living quarters for De Beers' mine employees, Gum Tree Lodge is a complex of historic buildings situated in five hectares of picturesque, well-wooded grounds dominated by blue gum trees - hence the name. We are situated just 5km from the Kimberley City Hall.
Accommodation comprises 150 beds in double bunk dormitories, as well as a number of twin-bedded and family rooms. Bedding and linen is provided in all cases.
Guests may cater for themselves - otherwise they can enjoy food and drink at Old Diggers Restaurant. Self-catering equipment includes a fridge, a 2-plate cooker, a microwave oven and a kettle. Crockery and cutlery are available on request.
For the convenience of our guests there is a sparkling swimming pool, a children's playground, excellent braai facilities and a lounge and TV room.
Famous for its diamonds, Kimberley is the capital of the Northern Cape Province of South Africa. Here, diggers and adventurers from all over the world collected in the 1870s around what was to become the "Big Hole" - the biggest hole ever excavated with pick and shovel. Cecil John Rhodes and Barney Barnato established De Beers Consolidated Mines to eventually control the diamond industry world wide. The city was besieged by the Boers in 1899 and is surrounded by historic battlefields where bitter fighting took place.
Kimberley's excellent museums recall those early days. And at the Open Mine Museum (built around the "Big Hole") you can try you luck at prospecting. De Beers conducts pre-arranged underground tours where you can see today's miners at work. South Africa's last remaining tram runs from the City Hall to the Open Mine Museum and Big Hole every hour, stopping on request at the Star of the West - Kimberley's oldest pub.
Game abounds around Kimberley, where extensive game farms attract hunters from around the world. De Beers and the Oppenheimer family are renowned wildlife conservationists.
- Awards & Accreditations As Claimed By The Establishment
- Birdlife South Africa - Birder Friendly
- Guest House Accommodation of South Africa
- Listed with Tourism South Africa
- Member of TripAdvisor
- StaySA Approved Member
- airport (less than 15km)
- big game (less than 30km)
- bowls (less than 5km)
- braai / barbecue - communal
- braai / barbecue - onsite
- car hire (less than 20km)
- casino (less than 10km)
- conference venue onsite
- DSTV in communal area
- exercise facilities (less than 5km)
- game drives (less than 30km)
- golf (less than 5km)
- hunting (less than 30km)
- kitchen (fully equipped)
- kitchen communal
- kitchenette only
- laundry facilities (less than 2km)
- laundry facilities onsite
- medical facilities (less than 5km)
- microwave in unit
- movies / cinema (less than 5km)
- outdoor pool
- parking all onsite
- pets allowed by prior arrangement
- remote security
- restaurant (less than 5km)
- restaurant onsite
- rock art (less than 20km)
- television in communal area
- tennis court (less than 5km)