Driftsands Holiday Accommodation
Situated in Uvongo, the bustling holiday town that has much to offer the
visitor, Driftsands is the ideal base from which to explore the Lower South
Coast, with its sub-tropical forests, blue lagoons, golden beaches, rocky coves,
and the warm Indian Ocean. The sunny weather makes KwaZulu-Natal's South Coast a
popular year-round holiday resort for both local and international visitors.
The Uvongo swimming beach, 150 m from the sea side gate, is beautiful and the waterfall is a truly wonderful sight. There are also canoes and paddle boats on the lagoon. The waves crashing into the tidal pool 50 m from Driftsands are a constant reminder that you are on the coast. Swim in the surf or just laze on the beach working on your suntan. Every winter, there is the phenomenon of the sardine run - millions of sardines migrate up the coast, accompanied by dolphins and other large fish and thousands of sea birds which feed on them. People come from far and wide to scoop up buckets of this natural harvest.
For those looking for an active holiday,
- 10 golf courses within an hour drive, ranging from the immaculate Wild Coast to the challenging 9 hole Port Edward Golf Course, all at affordable prices.
- St Michael's beach is a surfer's paradise.
- The Douglas Mitchell Sports Ground offers tennis, squash, cricket, rugby and model-car racing.
- Shelly Beach is the home of the ski boat, fishing and scuba diving fraternity. The Sonny Evans launching ramp is the gateway to Protea Banks - a magnificent submerged reef (about 7km off-shore) which is teeming with oceanic life, as well as gaining popularity as the world's number one shark viewing spot. Diving schools will give advice and training, and equipment could be hired.
- Lawn bowling rinks are situated in Uvongo, Margate and Ramsgate.
A more relaxed holiday is catered for by:
- The region's largest air-conditioned shopping mall, the Shelly Centre, is located in Shelly Beach and has everything for the shopping-conscious visitor, with 76 shops under one roof.
- The Southcoast Mall is strategically positioned at the Shelly Beach and Izotsha Rd off ramp from the N2 highway, approximately 130kms south of Durban. This vibrant shopping centre is designed to meet the retail, leisure and social interaction needs of a growing and increasingly sophisticated market. Designed in celebration of the region's temperate climate, Southcoast Mall features extended entrances with lead-in malls reminiscent of breezy avenues, sparkling with fountains. Magnificent skylights drench spacious malls with natural light and elevated shop fronts reach heights in excess of 4m in this striking retail setting.
- There are Portuguese, Chinese, Italian, Mediterranean, Steak and seafood restaurants, pizza take-aways, and numerous pubs in the 20km coastal stretch.
- The Skyline Nature Reserve in Uvongo and the Uvongo River Reserve(starts at the tennis courts in Uvongo.) are hidden gems on the coast.
- Oribi Gorge is spectacular and is the region's most famous scenic drive and is a haven for adrenalin junkies with abseiling, the gorge swing, white water rafting heading the list of activities.
- The Umtumvuna River Gorge at Port Edward, which offers magnificent views over the river gorge and includes many very rare species of plants. The walks are the most rewarding of the entire South coast. More than 28kms of river frontage are compressed into the 19 kms of the reserve. There are coastal forests, riverine forest, sheer rock faces more than 240m high above the river and the wild flowers in the higher regions offer a never ending change of colour as the season's progress.This small reserve is well worth a day's visit. The name of the reserve is taken from that of the river the 'reaper of mouthfuls' due to its action whilst in flood. There is a nesting colony of one hundred Cape Vultures, baboons, leopards and samango monkeys. Over 250 species of birds have been identified in the reserve.
- The Vernon Crookes Game Reserve is inland from Scottburgh and is set high upon a plateau overlooking the beautiful rondavel-dotted hillsides of the nearby Zulu villages. The terrain is primarily grassland with forested ravines. A network dirt roads traverse the park, which make for pleasant game drives. However some of these roads are quite treacherous and should not be attempted with a sedan. The reserve is home a few large herbivores, mainly Zebra but also includes Blue Wildebeest, Nyala, Impala, Eland, Porcupine and Mongoose
Springtime brings an impressive display of wild flowers that shouldn't be missed. There are two small dams on the reserve that attract a large variety of birdlife - over 300 species have been identified.
Please bring your own DSTV decoder and smart card.
Seafront units: (fourteen units)
All have magnificent, 180-degree sea-views. The units are compact and comfortable with interleading rooms. There is one bathroom with shower or shower over the bath. They are ideally comfortable for 2 to 4 people, but can accommodate a maximum of 6 persons (including adults, children, & babies).
Colin Street Flats: (four units)
The four beautiful modern units near the office are all two bathroom, two bedroom (en-suite with shower, other with bath), with large living area. They are ideal for 4 people but can accommodate up to 6 (including adults, children, babies). Units 105 - 106 have partial sea views from verandah, while the upper units 107-108 have a sea view over the sea front units.
Garrick Cottage: (one unit)
Accommodates a maximum of 8 people including children & babies. There are 3 bed-
rooms, one of which is interleading to a small room with bunk beds. There are one and a half bathrooms. It is a freestanding cottage containing a garden and braai area that is shared with Shad Cottage. Garrick Cottage overlooks the swimming pool and has a limited sea view.
Shad Cottage: (one unit)
This cottage is small, suitable for 2 people plus 2 small children/babies. There is a small separate bedroom plus a 2nd small room that serves as a lounge/2nd bedroom. There is a full bathroom and kitchen. It overlooks the swimming pool and shares the enclosed garden and braai area with Garrick Cottage. There is a limited sea view.
Bachelor 4 sleeper: (one unit)
This bachelor unit consist of 2 inter-leading rooms and a shower, basin & toilet. The first room has 2 single beds, the inside room contains double sleeper couch, microwave, 2 plate hot plate, kettle, toaster and bar fridge and colour TV. Suitable for 2 to 4 people.
Bachelor 2 sleeper: (two units)
These upstairs bedsitter units are small, suitable for a maximum of 2 people. There is only 1 room which contains one double bed, microwave, toaster, kettle, 2 plate hotplate, bar fridge and a flat screen TV. There is a separate shower, basin and toilet. There is a sea view from the balcony.
NB: We have a strict policy regarding number of people in a unit. No more than the maximum number are allowed, and this includes children of all ages.
- air conditioner (some units)
- airport (less than 15km)
- beach (absolutely on the beach)
- beach (less than 500m)
- big game (less than 30km)
- boat / marine slipway (within 5km)
- boat trips (less than 5km)
- bowls (less than 5km)
- braai / barbecue - communal
- canoeing (less than 5km)
- car hire (less than 20km)
- DSTV (bring card and decoder)
- DSTV in unit
- exercise facilities (less than 5km)
- fishing (less than 3km)
- game drives (less than 30km)
- golf (less than 5km)
- horse riding (less than 5km)
- kitchen (fully equipped)
- kitchenette only
- laundry facilities (less than 2km)
- live entertainment (less than 3km)
- lock-up safe
- medical facilities (less than 5km)
- microwave in unit
- movies / cinema (less than 5km)
- nature trail (less than 2km)
- outdoor pool
- parking all onsite
- private entrance
- reptile park (less than 20km)
- restaurant (less than 5km)
- scuba diving (less than 10km)
- shark cage diving (less than 10km)
- squash court (less than 5km)
- tea / coffee making facilities
- television in room (non-satellite)
- tennis court (less than 5km)
- whale watching (less than 10km)
- whale watching onsite
- wi-fi / hotspot