Belisama Beachside Bungalow
Belisama Beachside Bungalow (hereinafter referred to as “Belisama”) as is a charming wooden cabin, nestled into the hillside and raised high above the ground on stilts, set amongst wild banana palms and other lush indigenous vegetation, with an an expansive view over the Umkobi lagoon cove and around to the Umkobi beach and warm Indian Ocean.
The beauty of an all-wooden dwelling on stilts is that it moves with you and around you, almost like a living entity. As you walk, the house softly vibrates beneath your feet; even when the wind blows, you can feel it gently swaying.
Belisama is an upmarket 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, self-catering guesthouse which is ideal for a small single family (with no more than 3 children). It is located in the beautiful seaside village of Southbroom, just south of Margate on the Hibiscus coast of KwaZulu Natal. The South Coast is an all-year-round destination due to its lovely sub-tropical climate. Summers (September to April) are hot and humid; winter daytime temperatures seldom drop below 20?C.
The Lodge complex comprises 36 wooden chalets (of which Belisama is one unit), many of them lost from each other's view amongst the wild sub-tropical foliage. The chalets are all privately owned units, most of which are used exclusively by their owners as weekend and holiday retreats.
Belisama is well appointed and comfortable, offering:
- 2 queen-size beds, 2 single beds, bath, shower; plus all the "modcons" such as dish washer, washing machine, tumble dryer, stove & oven, microwave & other usual appliances; crockery, cutlery, pots & pans, glasses, etc; catering for a maximum of 6 people.
- Variable-speed fans are installed in all bedrooms and the living area.
- DStv connection installed, so just bring your decoder & smartcard. In addition, there is a USB port connection provided, so bring a flashstick with movies or music on.
- Full-length glass sliding doors in two of the bedrooms and the living area open onto the broad wooden deck, which has a braai and patio furniture for private al fresco dining.
- Secure off-road parking is available for 2 cars. The complex is very safe, being enclosed by an electric fence, access-controlled & patrolled by security guards at night.
- A housekeeping service for cleaning during your stay is available.
A communal swimming pool and braai area (for use by Lodge occupants only) is situated about 80 metres from the chalet. The Umkobi beach is a mere 5 minute drive away (note: because of the reed beds surrounding the lagoon, it is not possible to walk to this beach directly from the Lodge property – see aerial photo in the gallery). There are also 3 Blue Flag beaches within a 5-10km drive from Belisama (ie. Ramsgate Beach, Marina Beach & Trafalgar Beach).
Trattoria La Terrazza Italian restaurant is a few minutes drive from Belisama and also overlooks the Umkobi lagoon. The popular holiday resorts of Ramsgate, Margate & Shelly Beach are about a 10 minute drive to the north of Southbroom. They offer many other facilities such as shopping malls, cinemas, restaurants, banks, supermarkets, book shops, clothing stores, gyms, etc.
For golf enthusiasts, the nearby Southbroom Golf Course is set in a thick forest lined with old palm trees and sub-tropical flora (& fauna). It is considered by many to be one of the country's finest and most popular golf courses. There is a well-stocked, on-course Pro Shop. Tennis courts are located about 5 minutes from the bungalow (adjacent to the golf course) and the Southbroom village centre just beyond that includes a convenience store, petrol station, laundry service, liquor store, day spa, coffee shop & restaurant (to name a few). There is also an alternate ‘drop & collect’ laundry service in the next door village of Marina Beach.
In addition to 11 superb golf courses (the South Coast is also known as the Golf Coast), the area is renowned for fishing, surfing, canoeing, scuba diving, abseiling, gorge swinging, zip-lining, horse riding, mountain biking, hiking and whale watching. Belisama’s large wooden deck is a great place to watch the huge flocks of Barn Swallows which gather each night just before sunset from October to March, swooping & swirling in the sky like living clouds.
For the eco-conscious, we supply Beyond Green Cleaning 100% all-natural cleaning solutions in the bungalow. A recycling bin is provided and there is a ‘drop-off’ recycling point conveniently located in Southbroom South. Belisama is a peaceful place in an unspoilt setting of particular biodiversity and natural beauty; a balm for the weary soul. It is a place where the sounds you'll hear are birds and insects, frogs and bats; and all against the background of the ocean's perpetual roar.
We look forward to hosting you!
- Belisama is a non-smoking guesthouse.
- No dogs, birds or other pets are allowed.
- No quad bikes, motor-cross or off-road bikes, scooters, rollerblades, etc may be used within the perimeter of the complex.
- Under no circumstances will fireworks be permitted anywhere on the property or in the Southbroom area.
- airport (less than 15km)
- beach (less than 500m)
- bowls (less than 5km)
- braai / barbecue - communal and onsite
- canoeing onsite
- car hire (less than 20km)
- ceiling fans
- communal pool
- DSTV (bring card and decoder)
- fire extinguisher
- fishing (less than 3km)
- flat screen TV
- fridge in unit
- golf (less than 5km)
- Good security
- horse riding (less than 5km)
- ironing board
- kitchen (fully equipped)
- lake onsite
- laundry facilities (less than 2km)
- linen & towels provided
- medical facilities (less than 5km)
- microwave in unit
- nature trail onsite
- No smoking in rooms
- off street parking on premises for 2 cars
- outdoor pool
- parking all onsite
- private airfield (less than 15km)
- reptile park (less than 20km)
- restaurant (less than 5km)
- rock art (less than 20km)
- scuba diving (less than 10km)
- Secure parking with individual remotes and keys
- stove in unit
- sun deck
- television in room (non-satellite)
- tennis court (less than 5km)
- tumble dryer in unit
- washing machine in unit
- weber braai
- whale watching (less than 10km)