Avocado Cottage was featured in Getaway Magazine April 2017 - “12 Farm Stays We Love”.
Avocado Cottage is a traditional sugar farm homestead situated on a working Avocado and Sugarcane farm, 4km outside Melmoth town, just off the R66, Zululand Heritage Route (Route 66). A cosy farmhouse overlooking a dam and with views over beautiful rolling hills and cane fields, offering a welcoming home environment for both business and leisure travellers visiting Melmoth and surrounding areas.
Being out of town on a farm has quite a few advantages. Less noise more peaceful and still close enough to town to get what you need.
At Avocado Cottage we are committed to creating memorable family-friendly experiences for everyone who visits here, and will happily accommodate any special requests if possible in order to make your stay unforgettable.
Available on a self-catering basis. (Braai packs can be ordered)
A four-bed-roomed farm cottage perfect for families or couples travelling together.
It’s time to unwind and relax.Come to Avocado Cottage to experience Farmstay at its best!
Whether your aim is a relaxed family holiday, a Farmstay getaway or a historical excursion, we look forward to welcome all guests for all over the world.
More about Avocado Cottage:
- Sleeps anything from 2 to a total of 10 people.
- There are 5 bedrooms for guests sharing.
- Main bedroom : queen size bed with en-suite bathroom with shower and bath.
- Room with double bed.
- Room with 2 twin singles.
- Room with 1 single bed.
- Downstairs bedroom with queen size bed, en-suite bathroom with shower, and kitchenette.
- 1 sleeper couch in the lounge.
- A second shared bathroom with shower and bath in the passage.
- Downstairs is a complete flat with a little kitchenette, Queen-size bed, separate toilet, shower and a basin.
- All linen and towels included.
- All rooms are non-smoking - smoking allowed outside on the patio’s.
- A fully equipped kitchen with gas stove, kettle, toaster, microwave, fridge /freezer and all that is needed for a home away from home.
- Spacious open plan lounge/ dining room.
- Flat screen TV with satellite television, Radio CD Player and DVD player.
- Assortment of DVD’s, books, magazines and board games.
- A cosy fireplace for cold misty evenings - firewood supplied.
- Large patio (stoep) area for outdoor living with a built in baai. (Barbeque)
- Washing machine, dishwasher, iron and ironing board.
- Free Wi-Fi internet access.
- Cell-phone signal good.
- Family-friendly establishment - you don’t need to bring a camp cot or high chair along for tiny tots - just let us know in advance and we will provide one for you.
- Laundry and cleaning services are available on request.
- Under roof parking on the premises.
- In a secure fenced area - remote-controlled security gate access.
Things to do on the farm:
- Just enjoy the peace & quiet and tranquillity of country life.
- Have a good rest.
- Enjoy great birding on farm walks.
- The farm is suitable for hiking, mountain biking and quad riding.
- Bring your bike and go mountain biking along the farm roads.
- Fresh-water fishing in the dams on the farm.
- Picnic by the dam.
- Walk, jog or run on the farm.
- Bird watching.
- Book a farm tour and learn more about avocado and sugar cane farming.
- Attractions and things to do in and around the Melmoth area.
Nearby attractions, restaurants, beaches:
Melmoth Golf Club - 9 hole course situated amongst the green hills of Zululand, Melmoth Golf Club has proved to be a small club with a big heart. Don’t miss the home-cooked meals on Friday nights.
Isandlwana and Rorks Drift - 1h 30 away.
Mtonjaneni Zulu Cultural Museum - the Mtonjaneni Zulu Cultural Museum is situated at Mtonjaneni Lodge and within easy access from the R34. The museum hosts a comprehensive collection of momentous and artefacts from the Anglo Zulu War dated from before 1890, as well as items from Zulu Culture and Africana. In house tours and guided tours to historical sites and surrounding Battlefields can be arranged for individuals, groups.
Ondini - Zulu Cultural Museum, Ulundi - at Ondini, King Cetshwayo’s residence has been partially recreated and well trained tour guides are on hand to help bring back the era of great Zulu leaders and warriors. The Ondini museum gives visitors an insight into the life and times of the Zulu nation, as it covers different aspects of Zulu culture and history. It traces the arrival of the Nguni people to the area, the lineage of the Zulu kings as well as traditional crafts and music. The museum is on the P700 towards the Cengeni gate.
Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park - KwaZulu-Natal’s largest Big 5 Game Reserve is 270km north of Durban on the N2 North Coast road and clearly sign-posted. The reserve can also be approached from Melmoth/Vryheid via Ulundi. There is a gravel road to Cengeni Gate, which is 24km from Mpila Camp.
Mgungunlovu - Piet Retief's grave.
uMgungundlovu Multimedia Centre - where the state of the art centre brings the Zulu history and Kingdom alive - accommodating modern exhibitions, press button exhibition tables, conference centre, film theatre, viewing tower, amphi-theatre, a small shop offering refreshments and cultural artefacts.
Shakaland - 30km away. A visit to South Africa is not complete without a visit to Shakaland - one of the most famous cultural attractions in Africa. Situated in the heart of Zululand between Eshowe and Melmoth, Shakaland is an authentic replica of King Shaka`s Great Kraal with traditional beehive huts, zulu dancing, craft making and traditional Zulu foods. It overlooks the Phobane Lake - Greater St Lucia Wetland Park / St Lucia is 2 hour’s drive away.
Eshowe - 45km away: A visit to the Dlinza Forest Aerial Boardwalk with its walkway in the tree canopy and forest trails is essential. Fort Nongqayi Museum Village with Vukani Zulu Cultural Museum, the Zululand Historical Museum and the Eshowe Butterfly Dome, are nearby.
Part of Zululand Birding Route - truly a bird watcher`s paradise, 54% of the total South African bird species can be seen in the 200km birding trail that passes through Babanango, Melmoth, Eshowe, Mtunzini and Richardsbay. The trail covers 10 habitat species with about 400 bird species.
Safari: Use Avocado Cottage as your base to explore Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park, formerly Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Game Reserve, the oldest proclaimed nature reserve in Africa.
Golf: Melmoth Golf Club - 9 hole course situated amongst the green hills of Zululand. Melmoth Golf Club has proved to be a small club with a big heart. Don’t miss the home-cooked meals on Friday nights.
Restaurants: Mtonjaneni Lodge, Christina’s or Pug and Co Coffee Shop.
Wedding Venues: Attending a wedding in Melmoth? Stay with us!
Beaches: We recommend you do a daytrip to St Lucia or Ballito 1h30 min away.
Ushaka International Airport: 2h00 away, or Richards Bay Airport - transfers by arrangement.
- braai / barbecue - onsite
- canoeing onsite
- ceiling fans
- dishwasher (some units)
- dishwasher onsite
- DSTV in unit
- exercise facilities (less than 5km)
- fishing (less than 3km)
- fishing onsite
- fridge in unit
- golf (less than 5km)
- hair dryer
- heaters in unit
- internet facilities
- kitchen (fully equipped)
- lake onsite
- laundry facilities onsite
- linen & towels provided
- medical facilities (less than 5km)
- microwave in unit
- parking all onsite
- pets allowed by prior arrangement
- picnic basket
- Portable (movable) fans in cottage
- private entrance
- stove in unit
- sun deck
- tea / coffee making facilities
- washing machine in unit
- wi-fi / hotspot