Yzerfontein : Accommodation, Activities, Restaurants & Points Of Interest
Yzerfontein is a quiet little seaside village about 85 km north of Cape Town on the West Coast Road. Famous for its carpet of wild flowers in spring, Yzerfontein has one of the most pristine beaches that spans 16 miles, all the way to the Postberg Nature Reserve within the West Coast National Park.
Yzerfontein is a delightful destination for whale watching, particularly as there are a number of other wonderful birds and animals to see in the reserves close to Yzerfontein. Dassen Island supports a colony of African Penguins and the West Coast Fossil Park houses a number of fossils that date back about 5 million years.
Yzerfontein's little harbour is responsible for about 60% of all the line fish caught on the West Coast and is thus well known for its snoek and crayfish and most of the locals make their money this way. Other activities include: surfing, fishing, bird watching, hiking and visits to Darling, just 10 minutes away, and Langebaan, some 30 minutes up the coast.
- Dassen Island (9.92km)
- Khwa ttu San Culture and Education Centre (11.07km)
- Buffelsfontein Game and Nature Reserve (11.59km)
- West Coast National Park (13.09km)
- The Nature Garden (20.17km)
- Darling Music Experience (21.17km)
- Evita se Perron (21.49km)
- Darling Wild Flower Show (21.90km)
- Grotto Bay Private Nature Reserve (23.00km)
- Postberg Nature Reserve (29.53km)