Uvongo : Accommodation, Activities, Restaurants & Points Of Interest
Van's View (credits)
Uvongo is a bustling seaside holiday town situated south of Port Shepstone, at the mouth of the Ivunga River. Near the mouth of the river there is a
waterfall which flows into a small gorge. Uvongo beach had previously earned the prestigious Blue Flag status, but lost it due to storm damage in April 2007. Uvongo has lovely beaches
and these are patrolled by lifeguards during the school holidays. Uvongo is also known for its large rock escarpments covered with beautiful, dense
foliage which shelters the beach. There are pedal boats for hire which one can use to explore the river more fully.
A footpath runs alongside the river, which flows to the Uvongo River Nature Reserve. This reserve incorporates a well-conserved coastal forest with a wide diversity of trees, shrubs, ferns, orchids and maritime bird life. Another feature of the reserve is the circular hiking trail which takes about two hours to complete. This river cuts it path through a wooded gorge, eventually reaching the 23 metre high Vungu Falls, which cascade down into a deep and sheltered lagoon. Jagged cliffs flank the last kilometer of the river.
The caves of Uvongo Lagoon offer a popular destination for divers. This site is not recommended for the faint hearted, as it is very dark and torches are required. Due to the water in the lagoon consisting of a combination of fresh water from the river, and sea water, an unusual variety of marine life can be seen there. Most commonly sighted in the underwater caves are juvenile Rock Salmon, fresh water Congo eels and moonies. Underwater visibility is poor and it is required that divers wishing to dive here have at least an advanced certification or 20 logged dives.
Visitors to Uvongo are not far from the busy night life of Margate with its many restaurants and pubs and Shelly Centre, a
modern shopping mall just a few kilometers away. On Saturdays there is the Uvongo Flea Market where you can buy anything from fresh vegetables and
tasty pancakes to CD's, toys and clothing.
- Harley Davidson Bike Africa Week (2.30km)
- Mallards & Mercury Ski-Boat Festival (3.66km)
- Pure Venom Reptile Park (4.77km)
- Riverbend Crocodile Farm (10.45km)
- Frederika Nature Reserve (11.63km)
- Banana Express (11.98km)
- Port Shepstone Lighthouse (12.27km)
- Barn Swallows of Umkobi Lagoon (13.55km)
- The Annual Lions South Coast Show (14.38km)
- Oribi Gorge Nature Reserve (17.12km)
- Mpenjati Nature Reserve (18.44km)
- Natal Space Centre (29.25km)
- See All Accommodation Listings Here
- Self Catering Apartment/ Flat
- Self Catering Chalet/ Townhouse
- Self Catering Cottage/ House/ Bungalow
- Self Catering Flatlet