Umgababa : Accommodation, Activities, Restaurants & Points Of Interest
Beach view (credits)
Umgababa is a rural town in the KwaZulu-Natal Province of South Africa, on the uMgababa River and just a few kilometres to the South of Illovo Beach.
The reef at Umgababa needs to be dived from a boat as it is not safe to leave your car on the beach. When at sea it is off the railway bridge north of the Umkomaas River, approximately 8km. There are some very good pinnacles here and the swell can be seen lifting over the high points as the reef comes right up. Lots of reef fish here and big drop-offs make for interesting diving. The Umgababa turn-off is 36km south of Durban. Take this turn off and follow road south to launch at Umkomaas River.
The Department of Sport and Recreation has recently tried to revive the once vibrant Umgababa Beach Resort, with some success.
- Sardine Run (6.82km)
- Empisini Nature Reserve (7.22km)
- Ilanda Wilds Nature Reserve (11.07km)
- Dick King Half Marathon (11.83km)
- Kuswag Carnival (12.89km)
- Amanzimtoti Bird Sanctuary (13.55km)
- Crocworld Conservation Center (13.64km)
- Durban International Airport (Closed) (22.62km)
- Silverglen Nature Reserve (24.50km)
- The Chatsworth Shopping Centre (27.12km)
- The Temple of Understanding - Chatsworth (27.59km)
- Vernon Crookes Nature Reserve (27.85km)
- Kenneth Stainbank Nature Reserve (28.01km)
- Kavadi Celebration - Durban (29.98km)