Munster and Glenmore Beach : Accommodation, Activities, Restaurants & Points Of Interest
Glenmore Beach is the last resort before Port Edward. The beachfront has three shark-protected beaches all of which are patrolled by lifeguards during school holiday periods. The resort is just a ten minute drive from the Wild Coast Casino over the Mtamvuma River into the Eastern Cape.
Just a few kilometers inland from Port Edward is the Umtamvuma Nature Reserve. Here the visitor will find a nesting colony of Cape vultures among the high cliffs that run along the river. This 3150 hectare nature reserve is home to the black backed jackal, baboons, and the large spotted genet, along with several species of buck, the samango monkey and leopards. The thick forest is home to some 80 species of bird and is thick with ferns, lichen and wild flowers.
The mouth of the Itongasi River provides an ideal site for ski boat launching. For surf and rock fishing enthusiasts an ideal spot is Pulpit Rock, one of the best deep water spots on the South Coast, where mainly King Mackerel (Couta), Kingfish, Garrick,and Shad can be caught.
Between the months of April and October, whales and dolphins, can be seen along the adjacent coast. The annual Sardine Run, also brings a buzz of activity to Glenmore Beach. It is a very tranquil, natural area and has a beautiful swimming beach. Besides motorised boating, Glenmore Beach is also popular sea kayakers.
Other attractions include The Nightingale shipwreck which ran aground on the rocks off Glenmore Beach in 1933. Part of the wreck, the boiler and cylinder, can still be seen on the rocks and is accessible at low tide. Interested visitors can still pick up pieces of porcelain or trader beads from the beach particularly after storms and high seas.
For 4x4 fans, there is the Glenmore 4x4 Track, with more than 30 obstacles. Although dominated mainly by grassland, it is also home to a swamp forest and majestic waterfalls.
- Mpenjati Nature Reserve (5.00km)
- Natal Space Centre (6.55km)
- Umtamvuna Nature Reserve (8.48km)
- Barn Swallows of Umkobi Lagoon (9.67km)
- Wild Coast Sun Casino (11.03km)
- Frederika Nature Reserve (11.62km)
- Riverbend Crocodile Farm (12.63km)
- Harley Davidson Bike Africa Week (21.02km)
- Pure Venom Reptile Park (26.69km)
- Mallards & Mercury Ski-Boat Festival (26.69km)
- See All Accommodation Listings Here
- Bed & Breakfast/ Guest House/ Guest Lodge
- Caravan or Camping
- Self Catering Apartment/ Flat
- Self Catering Chalet/ Townhouse
- Self Catering Cottage/ House/ Bungalow