Margate Holidays - South Coast, KwaZulu Natal
Click here for Margate Accommodation
If you're an avid fisherman, surfer, sun-worshipper, scuba diver ... or anyone who loves glorious beaches, coastal forests, magnificent coral reefs, and endless sunny days, then the sub-tropical paradise of Margate, South Coast in KwaZulu Natal is the place for your next family vacation.
The warm Indian Ocean flowing past Margate, South Coast provides a natural haven for a multitude of tropical fish living on the abundant South Coast coral reefs, which allows for excellent snorkelling, and the renowned Margate Protea Banks dive site with its vast shoals and circling sharks brings great delight to scuba divers. South Coast fishing in Margate is superb, and the rocks off Margate's shore abound with mussels, although a licence is required to remove them.
Once a year, on the South Coast, Margate comes to life with an energetic buzz of fishermen and locals when the annual South Coast Sardine Run takes place. Considered to be the greatest shoal on earth, these billions of tiny silver fish bring with them numerous larger game fish, dolphins, sharks, seals, whales and a variety of birdlife seeking an easy meal. The annual South Coast Sardine Run off Margate is undoubtedly one of the most spectacular marine events.
Because of its popularity, almost all of the Margate South coastline is mainly comprised of typical South Coast holiday accommodation, which is especially busy during school and public holidays when inland residents flock to the South Coast. Christmas and Easter are bustling, and during peak times the Margate main street transforms once a week into a Mardi Gras with fun stalls and entertainment.
Margate accommodation is profuse, ranging from Star Graded Margate Hotel accommodation, and Margate Bed & Breakfast accommodation just a stone's throw away from the main Margate Blue Flag beach. Margate Holiday Resort accommodation provides endless on site facilities, and certain superbly located Margate Self Catering accommodation offers unsurpassed sea views.
The nearby town of Manaba Beach (0.87km from Margate) also has excellent Manaba Beach South Coast Self Catering options, and the ever popular town of Uvongo (2.85km from Margate), situated on the mouth of the Ivunga River, is awash with Uvongo Self Catering accommodation, and is an ideal base from which to explore the lower KwaZulu Natal, South Coast.
Just 4.46km from Margate lies the town of Ramsgate set among the lush green sub-tropical vegetation of the area, known as 'banana country'. Ramsgate accommodation offers plenty of beds of all kinds, from Star Graded Ramsgate Bed & Breakfast accommodation, to Ramsgate Self Catering accommodation with picturesque views of Ramsgate Blue Flag main beach and lagoon.
Besides being regarded as the foremost South Coast beach spot where many locals and foreign visitors spend their vacations, Margate is the centre for nightlife on the South Coast of KwaZulu-Natal, and when the Margate nightclubs close, the beach parties begin. For those who prefer a little South Coast souvenir shopping, Margate boasts exceptional art galleries and craft shops, and you can treat yourself to great food in many of the Margate beachfront cafes, fine dining and fast food establishments.
Margate and the surrounding South Coast towns offer leisure and sporting facilities galore, including water sports such as boating, skiing, kayaking, diving, snorkelling and deep sea fishing. For golf, Margate Country Club features superb greens and abounds with tall trees and stunning South Coast scenery. Lower South Coast Golf courses are a much sought after destination for golfing enthusiasts. The KZN South Coast golf courses stretch from Southbroom Golf Club to Selborne and Umdoni Golf Clubs which are only about 40 minutes from Durban.
If you're a bird lover, a visit to the Margate Bird Park is an absolute must, with a walk-through aviary which guarantees you a captivating experience. If you're a nature lover, in the vicinity of Margate (40.7km from Margate via Port Shepstone), lies the majestic Oribi Gorge Nature Reserve, where you can game view, abseil and ride the rapids of the Umzimkhulu River. Oribi Gorge accommodation is in abundance, with Oribi Gorge Hotel accommodation built on the edge of the impressive Oribi Gorge sandstone cliffs, to Oribi Gorge Self Catering accommodation, where a mere 25 minutes drive from the KwaZulu Natal South Coast finds you in another world.
Margate has come a long way since it was called "Nkhongweni" - place of entreaty as it was known in days gone by, as the original inhabitants were reputed to be so mean that travellers had to beg for hospitality. Now Margate is recognized as KwaZulu Natal's premier South Coast holiday paradise.
Other nearby towns on Where to Stay offering South Coast accommodation listings:
- St Michaels-on-Sea accommodation, 4.50km from Margate is popular with surfers, and offers star graded St Michaels-on-Sea Bed & Breakfast accommodation, as well as ideally situated St Michaels-on-Sea Self Catering accommodation.
- Shelly Beach accommodation, 6.46km from Margate gets its name from the wide variety of shells that can be found on the beach after high tide. You'll find a fantastic range of South Coast Shelly Beach accommodation ideally situated on the picturesque beachfront in close proximity to essential amenities.
- Southbroom accommodation, 9.13km from Margate is home to the renowned 18 hole Southbroom Golf Course. In abundance is Southbroom Bed & Breakfast accommodation, Southbroom Self Catering accommodation, and Southbroom Caravan or Camping accommodation with unspoilt views of the South Coast Indian Ocean and endless beach.
- Marina Beach accommodation, 11.27km from Margate resembles a small Mediterranean village by the sea, with magnificent Marina Beach Self Catering accommodation right on the beach.
- San Lameer South Coast accommodation, 11.86km from Margate. San Lameer Self Catering accommodation is situation on the San Lameer Golf Estate, the most sought-after golf estate resort on the KwaZulu Natal South Coast, and the only estate that has direct access onto two Blue Flag beaches.
- Oslo Beach accommodation, 12.22km from Margate - with Oslo Beach Bed & Breakfast accommodation and Oslo Beach Self Catering accommodation "absolutely on the beach".
- Port Shepstone accommodation - 14.04km from Margate. Port Shepstone Self Catering accommodation lies on the banks of the Umzimkulu River, or just 50 metres from the beach. Port Shepstone offers a diversity of attractions and activities, and is one of the largest towns on the KwaZulu Natal South Coast.
Points of interest near Margate:
- South Coast Rondevoux Shopping Mall (1.22km from Margate)
- South Coast Pure Venom Reptile Park (7.09km from Margate)
- South Coast Riverbend Crocodile Farm (7.59km from Margate)
- South Coast Frederika Nature Reserve (8.80km from Margate)
- South Coast Barn Swallows of Umkobi Lagoon (10.72km from Margate)
- South Coast Port Shepstone Mall (15.00km from Margate)
- South Coast Port Shepstone Lighthouse (15.12km from Margate)
- South Coast Mpenjati Nature Reserve (15.60km from Margate)
- South Coast Natal Space Centre (26.41km from Margate)
- South Coast Umtamvuna Nature Reserve (28.13km from Margate)