De Vlugt : Accommodation, Activities, Restaurants & Points Of Interest
De Vlugt is approximately 55 km's north from Knysna in the picturesque Prince Alfred Pass. The pass was built in 1861 by Andrew Geddes Bain and his son, Thomas Bain, who built the road, using a team of 270 convicts. The Bain's used De Vlugt as their headquarters and later a small community emerged around the camp. The Prince Alfred Pass actually consists of two passes, one going north and one south. The passes are separated by the Keurbooms River.
De Vlugt is situated on the banks of the Keurbooms River. The river has crystal clear waters and is used for the trout farm. There is also a mill that is still in use.
The trout farm is accessible by the public. Anglers may fish on the farm but it enforces a catch and release policy. Smoked and fresh trout are for sale on the De Vlugt premises.
De Vlugt has four self-catering wood cabins. The cabins can accommodate six persons each. Two are situated on the dam and the other two above the farm for beautiful views of the area. The cabins are spaced to ensure privacy.
If fly-fishing is not your cup of tea, then you can go hiking in the mountain or go biking in the pass. Other activities in the area include paragliding, abseiling, kloofing, horse riding, bird watching and stargazing.
- Prince Alfred Pass (9.25km)
- Simola Golf Course (17.89km)
- Rastafarian Earth Festival (18.32km)
- EC Soetkraal Provincial Nature Reserve (19.00km)
- Knysna Speed Festival 2014 (19.69km)
- Pledge Nature Reserve (19.99km)
- Pink Loerie Mardi Gras (20.30km)
- Pick n Pay Cape Times Knysna Forest Marathon (20.86km)
- The Waterfront Knysna Quays (21.01km)
- Knysna Golf Club (21.73km)
- Pezula Golf Course (22.56km)
- Homtini Pass (22.67km)
- Westford Bridge Private Nature Reserve (22.85km)
- Skuilte Private Nature Reserve (23.48km)
- Die Fort Local Nature Reserve (23.57km)
- Harkerville Trail (24.74km)
- Knysna Elephant Park (24.87km)
- Featherbed Private Nature Reserve (25.09km)
- Knysna National Lake Area (25.15km)
- Keurbooms River Nature Reserve (27.42km)
- Goose Valley Golf Course (27.54km)
- Plettenberg Bay Country Club (28.35km)
- Garden Route National Park (28.37km)
- Keurboomsriver Mouth (28.45km)
- Plettenberg Bay Airport (29.21km)
- See All Accommodation Listings Here
- See All Self Catering Listings Here
- Self Catering Chalet/ Townhouse