Come and treat yourself to an unforgettable night in an authentically restored ox-wagon and a panoramic view of Hartbeespoortdam high from the Witwatersberg Mountains.
- Oxwagon Chalets
- Conference venue
- Pub and lapa Outdoor function venue with spectacular views
- Nature Museum and Oxwagon Museum
- Nature Trail
- Backpackers Inn
Description of Venue
A living museum and private hideaway for nature lovers where you relive the romance of the early Pioneers and Jock of the Bushveld era. The Ring Oxwagon Lodge is a unique concept combining original ossewa with some modern comforts, in an atmosphere of friendliness, bird song and beautiful trees.
- Three, four, five or six beds per chalet (double bed in ox-wagon).
- Own bathroom with shower.
- Bedding provided; tea and coffee provided; no self-catering.
- A converted double-decker bus!
- 4 single beds and 14 bunks.
- Mens and ladies ablution block.
- Bedding provided; no self-catering.
- Total number of beds in oxwagon chalets 27.
- Total number of beds in the double-decker bus 18.
Number of Rooms:
- 6 oxwagon chalets, each one with an oxwagon and a chalet under a single thatched roof.
- 3 rooms in the Backpackers Inn.
Things to do in the area
Nature and cultural attractions:
- The Cradle of Humankind
- World Heritage Site
- De Wildt Cheetah and Wildlife Research Centre
- Elephant Sanctuary
- Curio markets
- Pilanesberg National Park
- Crocodile Ramble and Magalies Meander Historical Boer War sites
- Horse riding
- Fishing and water sports on Hartbeespoort Dam
- Fly fishing
- Hot-air ballooning
- 4x4 and quad bike trails
- Boat trips on Hartbeespoort Dam
Annual attractions and events:
- Motorbike Impala Rally in February
- Om die Dam Ultra Marathon in March
The Ring is located on the main Joburg - Harties road, the R511. If you drive north from Johannesburg, just as Hartbeespoort Dam comes into view, proceed down the hill for 0.5km and look for our entrance on the right hand side. Turn in here and take the road to the top of the hill.
From Pretoria, take the N4 heading west from Church Street and come off at the Pelindaba exit. We are then about 2kms along the R511 towards Hartbeespoort, as above.