Bed & Breakfast / Guesthouse
Accommodation in Sutherland
Northern Cape South Africa
The Galaxy is situated in Sutherland, 110km north of Matjiesfontein on the
R354. The winding road is tarred and provides a very scenic Karoo landscape
drive through the Verlatenkloof Pass up the Roggeveld Mountains. The house is
restored Victorian, built from local sandstone, with high ceilings of Oregon
pine, large sash windows and an enclosed verandah on two sides with brookie
We have a fully serviced stone cottage with three bedrooms, each with its own
shower and toilet. The cottage sleeps 7 people.
All rooms have heaters and electric blankets to make the winters more
comfortable. Linen is supplied and includes towels. All beds have snuggle
A full English breakfast is served on the verandah.
Things to do and see:
- SALT: Sutherland is nestled in the Karoo Highlands 1500 meters above sea
level. It is the centre for the South African Astronomical Observatory which
is situated some 18 km from the town, towards Fraserburg.
There are 7 telescopes including the new SALT (South Africa's Largest
- The Observatory is open to the public Monday to Friday, 10H30 and 14H30
and on Saturdays at 11H30 and 14H30.
Night viewing of the stars is at 20H00 in summer and 18H00 in winter, on
Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Booking is essential, phone:
- Louw Museum: Home of the famous writers and poets, N.P. van Wyk Louw
- Dutch Reformed Church: English Soldiers used the church as barracks in
- English Cemetery - soldiers
- Jewish Cemetery
- Salpeterkop - Old volcano
- Golf - oil greens, less than 4 km
- Snow - mainly during winter months, July & August
- Ouberg Pass - 40km from Sutherland
- Lake with Flamingos and variety of other birds, 14 km from Sutherland.
See next to main photo for alternative contact details.