Thabela Thabeng Mountain Retreat
Self Catering Cottage/ House/ Bungalow In Parys, Northern & Eastern Free State, Free State
2023 million years ago a meteorite struck planet earth formed the Vredefort
This impact has left a beauty out of destruction that is utterly breathtaking,
historically fascinating and rich in a unique and diverse micro-ecosystem of
fauna and flora.
In the midst of this World heritage Site, lies Thabela Thabeng, nestled in and
between the mountains and Vaal River, 100km from Johannesburg.
Thabela Thabeng means: "Be Happy in the Mountains". Advice that is not hard to
follow at this beautiful resort.
The luxury chalets nestle deep and secluded in the heart of the Mountains.
Chalets have balconies with breathtaking views, fire places and cozy lapas. They
are fully equipped for self catering.
Country and Nature lovers, street-stressed visitors, tourists and geologists
from around the world come here to stay.
- Dassie: Romantic bay window with corner bath overlooking the valley. Fire place. Lapa.
- Plumbago: On edge of cliff above waterfall. Private bathroom-with-view. Fire place. Lapa.
- Rockhaven: Absolutely exclusive and private bush chalet with corner bath in bay window. Magnificent rock forms wall. Fire place.
- Eagle's Nest: 2x 2 bedrooms, one with double bed. Bathroom-with view. Fireplace. Lapa.
- Chacma: (Tjacma) 2x 2 Bedrooms + 2 beds in lounge area. Log cabin. On hill top near Chacma Baboon's rock. Fire place. Bathroom + luxury open air shower on balcony.
- Amanzi: 3x 2 en-suite bedrooms. Next to streamlet deep in mountain. Own splash pool on patio. Fireplace. Excellent birding.
- Thabela House: No fuss farm house, 5x 2 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms.
Huge lounge/dining area. Fireplace. Lapa.
- Duiker: 1x 2 en-suite room and 2 single beds in loft (open plan).
At the foot of the mountain, near reception and swimming pool. Lapa.
- Acacia: 1x 2 Bedroom, 2 extra beds in lounge/kitchen area. Patio
with braai. Near swimming pool.
- 3-Star Accommodation
- Info centre: Examples of impact-related rocks; short lecture and video
- Conference (10 - 80 persons) and Function Venue (up to 100 persons)
- Youth Hostels - silo (24 persons) and the barn 3 dormitories (total of
Amanzi Mountain Lodge:
- Exclusive, perching high on the edge of the cliff
- Breathtaking view balconies, mountain stream below
- Cosy lounges, fire places
- Bathrooms-with-a-view (Bath towels provided)
- Fully equipped kitchens; braai patio's
- Number: 3x honeymoon (double beds) chalets; 3x 4 to 6 bed (single bed) chalets
- In the hollow, surrounded by hills, mountain stream
- Luxurious, fully equipped
- Private splash pool, lounge, fire-place
- 3 double en-suite bedrooms (single beds)
- Fully equipped, at foot of mountains
- Wide verandah, TV lounge, Braai-patio
- 5 double en-suite bedrooms (single beds) and 1 room with 2 single beds
- 1 x en-suite bedroom and an open plan loft with 2 single beds
- Near swimming pool
- Barn: 3 dormitories (56 persons)
- Silo: 3 storeys, 8 beds each (24 persons)
- Lapa, kitchen with stove, fridge, kettle, basic pots and pans
- Bring own bedding, eating- and cooking utensils
At Thabela Thabeng:
- Hiking (4 circular trails, 4 to 12km)
- Rock climbing (book in advance)
- Abseiling (tower & cliffs - book in advance)
- Mountain biking (own bike or bikes for hire)
- Fly-fishing only, river only accusable on foot (3km hike to river)
- Birding, butterflies, wildlife
- Low rope course
- Ability course
Nearby: (Please book in advance)
- River Rafting (half and full day)
- River swing (thrills galore!)
- Quadbike routes
- Parys (20km)
- Potchefstroom (30km)
- Johannesburg (100km)