Welcome to Shangrila
... A 5 Star luxury holiday home on the unspoilt KwaZulu Natal South Coast,Our story ....
Shangrila is a true gem. Set in 8 acres of indigenous coastal gardens, forest and grassland is a beautiful old colonial beach home with wide wrap around verandahs, and truly magnificent views of the Indian Ocean. Bazley Beach is a secluded and tranquil holiday resort just under an hour from Durban.
Bought by the owners in 2013, the whole property has been completely renovated and refurbished, after many years of neglect, to the highest modern standards. The buildings stand proudly in a landscaped indigenous garden designed by the guru of all indigenous gardeners, Elsa Pooley.
Elsa has created a beautiful garden, which is now a sanctuary for birds, butterflies, frogs and the elusive bushbuck and iMpiti. There is also a magnificent rock garden created by Creina Alcock, which makes the inland view as spectacular as the sea views.
The interiors have been exquisitely decorated by Fiamma Forsdick, the owners sister, who is a well known South African decorator. She has chosen elegantly comfortable furnishings, ideal for a beach home. These compliment lovely antiques and art, which were collected at auctions for the house.Accommodation ...
The main house, which has 3 en suite double bedrooms, (sleeping 6) and a further en suite bedroom off the rock garden (for 4 people) for a total of 10 guests. The 2 front bedrooms have direct access onto the front verandah, with stunning 180 degree sea views.
The large open plan living area, has folding doors opening onto both the front and back verandahs, as well as a fire place for chilly winter evenings. There is comfortable seating both in the lounge, as well as on the wide verandah. There are tables and chairs for under cover outside dining. The inside dining area has a lovely teak table, and chairs, also opening onto the verandah.
The wide wrap around verandahs, together with ceiling fans in each room, and a white aluminium roof, keep the house cool, and open to the sea breezes, while providing protection on a blustery day.
There is a large lock-up store room off the fully appointed designer kitchen, with a safe, providing ample space for sporting equipment, and storage boxes. There is a fridge/freezer in the kitchen, as well as a further fridge and freezer in the double garage.
A braai has been built in a protected spot in the garden just near the kitchen.
In the garden, is The Cottage with 2 double bedrooms, a bathroom, and open plan living area, sleeping 4 guests. The cottage also has a verandah. This is rented separately.
All bedrooms and bathrooms are well appointed, with crisp percale white linen and towels. Beach towels are not provided.About Bazley Beach...
Shangrila offers private access through the garden (about 100 meters) to Bazley Main Beach, which is an unspoilt beach, and seldom busy. There are numerous other beaches for swimming, as well as rocks and rock pools. The area is well known for fishing and there are a number of good fishing spots. Paddle skiing, diving, surfing and wind surfing are also popular.
The Indian Ocean is warm all year round, and a holiday in winter makes a great change from the icy interior of South Africa.
During the winter months, hundreds of dolphins and many varieties of whales can be seen along the coast. There is also the world-renowned sardine run in winter, with shoals of sardines, hunted by dolphins, sharks and sea birds.
Ndesingane Beach is a protected beach 3 kilometers from Shangrila, which guests are able to access. This is well known for surfing and fishing and provides protection on windy days.Services Supplied, Amenities, Sport and Shopping
- Daily cleaning service
- Lock up store room
- Modern security system
- 24 hour armed pesponse
- Self catering
- Built in braai
- Pets by prior arrangement only
- Bazley’s rocks and beach are well known with anglers, and many Shad (Elf) Musselcracker, Blacktail and Grunter being are caught.Shopping
- Scottburgh has a wide selection of shops, just 24kms away, including Woolworths, Pick ‘n Pay, Checkers, Clicks, and many more.Golf -
there are numerous golf courses close by, including Selbourne, Umdoni, Scottburgh, Southbroom, San Lameer, and the Wild Coast Sun. Umdoni Golf Course was originally developed for the State President, and boasts breath taking sea views. There are a total of 19 golf courses within an hour’s drive.Scuba Diving
- the famous Aliwal Shoal is nearby, and daily diving trips leave from Scottburgh and Umkomaas, offering a variety of diving experiences from beginners to advanced Shipwreck Dives. The Aliwal Shoal is rated one of the top ten dive sites in the world.Nature Reserves
- Oribi George is a short drive away, offering a variety of activities from casual walks with amazing views, to white water rafting, or the Gorge Swing for the more adventurous. There is also TC Robertson, and Vernon Crookes Nature Reserves, for a walk, or drive in the indigenous coastal bush. Umdoni Forest is adjacent to the golf course, and has one of the most beautiful indigenous and untouched coastal forests in South Africa. There are cycle, hiking, and walking trails, and the weekly Parkrun takes place in the forest.Crocworld
is also a short drive away, offering a complete wild life experience with a wide variety of birds, mammals and reptiles on display. Guided tours are conducted twice daily, the main attraction being the feeding of the massive Nile crocodiles. “Henry” is the heaviest and oldest crocodile known in captivity, and “Isis” is the beautiful Fish Eagle, who lives in the largest walk-through raptor cage on the continent.Restaurants
- Selbourne Hotel, Umdoni Golf Club and the iMpiti Beach Kiosk are at Pennington, just 10 kms away. Scottburgh has many more restaurants and bars. Port Shepstone has the famous Spillers Wharf with Fish on the River a firm favourite. For fine dining, Cellars near Port Shepstone offers a new menu every month.